Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

purple tang help...

Started by fishdaddy, February 05, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishdaddy

H need some help for you guys!!....MY tang has developed little white dots on his body and i don't know what they are. hope that it is nothing. i would post pics but haven't learned how yet they just don't show up ,well if you have any ideas let me know please.parameters are perfect.i just up grated my lights, that is the only thing that i have done different didn't think that was it but i could be wrong! would try to get him out but he is too quick and not about to tear apart my tank!

tanks for the help!!!!!!

sniggir

he probly got stressed out from the move, the previous guy had him in his tank for close too 3 years so I would say that the different enviroment and such has stessed him out and now he has Ich... is he still eating?... try giving him some garlic to boost his or her's amune system. I wouldn't move him into a quarintine tank... as the move may only strees him out more.  but I am sure that others will have some idea's
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

shutterbuggy

My Regal tang gets ick when I add something new to the tank or change its environment.  It is common in tangs.  All I do is monitor it and make sure it is eating.  Feed it Nori to keep its immune system up.  In a 2-3 days you should notice a great improvement.  If it is a serious case you would notice open sores on the Tangs body.  If you don't already have one, invest in a cleaner shrimp (in case you didn't know), as they will pick your Tang clean of Ick.

Becky

Julie

Make sure your parameters are A1 and he should recover.

Faerin

This is a misconception I see quite often ... cleaner shrimps do not actually help cure a fish of ick at all. What they will do is clean off the dead skin and parasites that have already been killed off (which people seem to mistake as eating the ick parasites). Quarantining the fish is the best way to rid your tank of it, but barring that just keep the fish well fed and your water quality consistent and it should clear up on it's own.

xenon

The only way to cure ich is hyposalinity for 8weeks or copper but you need to remove all fish from your tank to do it successfully.

shutterbuggy

Ick is ever present in a fresh or salt water system.  How it comes to affect an animal is usually dependent on how stressed the fish is.  If it is a serious case, worth medicating over, the animal itself would exhibit large whitish lesions all over its body, rather than a few scattered "salt-like" sprinkles on the animals body.  So it really is dependent on how serious the Ick is.  Granted, Cleaner shrimp do not "cure" Ick, however, they do pick off the salt like sprinkles that are affecting a fish, enough for the animal to recover from whatever stress it may have had in the first place. 

percula99

Lots of advive to consider. One thing that was not mentioned is garlic. You can buy garlic solutions at an LFS to soak his food in. Garlic will help boost his immune system. Good luck.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..