Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeding clown fish???

Started by rechaud, February 07, 2008, 06:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rechaud

Just want to know what is the best food for a clown fish please. I feed him with spirulina flake is that ok??
thx
Réchaud.

kennyman

Not really. It doesn't eat algae.

Frozen or freeze dried  Brineshrimp and/or Mysis are a better choice. If thats not an option then at least a good quality marine flake.

Heidi

Mine eat a mixture of Formula one flakes (with garlic) and pellets, frozen mysis and blood worms and thawed uncooked shrimp torn up into small pieces.  They are little pigs plus they also bring food back to feed their anemones.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

rechaud

ok, is nls are good??
thx again.

kennyman

Krill and herring are the first two ingredients so it should be allright if you can get them to take it  ;)

A clown is not as picky as say a Cardinal fish, which would rather starve to death than eat processed food. But after being introduced on freshly hatched artimea and grown on gut-loaded brine and freeze-dried mysis mine wont touch a flake or pellet. I've tried several including some left over nls.

Good luck with your new clownfish 8)

gvv

My ocellaris and maroon clowns eat everything what I ever tried, probably except nori.
I prefer diversity in food, so it could be frozen mysis, plankton, BS, etc. as well as all kinds of pellets, flakes...

groupie02

you should provide them with a variety of food like others have said. I feed mysis, brine shrimp, formula-2 pellet, cyclopeeze, etc...

pwrca

My clowns will eat pretty well anything I feed.  As previously stated they are little pigs.  As soon as I open the door on my aquarium stand, they get all excited just at the prospect that I'll be feeding something. 

sniggir

I would have to agree to what has been said.. I would feed frozen food, and pellets.. NLS is fine, I feed that aswell as frozen to my tank.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!