Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Poll : Aiptasia Killing method

Started by jeeper014, February 10, 2008, 01:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeeper014

Feel free to post your story if there is other method !!

Hope this will help some people out there

kennyman

The only one I ever had was within mm of the flesh of a LPS. I had to physically scrape it off.

Heidi

When we started my husband's 20 long - he had some. We got 3 peppermint shrimp and it was "bye-bye" aptasia.  he did try some Joe's juice on them - but we had better luck with the peppermints as they also kept it from coming back if we missed any with the juice.

Haven't had any since.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

mlee

I had a bunch shortly after starting my tank and used 3 peppermint shrimp as well.  It took quite a while before they were all gone but I haven't seen one in ages.

redbelly

groan

I hope to pick up some P.S. this coming weekend.
Pat, if you read this put 3 on hold for me!!!

redbelly

That shouldnt be a problem. I am closed mon-wed this week and I have around 40 in stock :)

Patrick

Severum

Peppermint shrimp from Pat cured me of mine overnight!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

percula99

Straight white vinegar in a syringe sprayed right into the mouth of the aptaisia. They just dissolve instantly. Adios aptaisia, on the spot. Just be sure to do it in small amounts as too much vinegar would affect your PH by making the water more acidic.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

Cheebs

I had a bit once, I didn't use any of the recomended ways of getting rid of it -  I mangled it with some tweezers then siphoned it out of the tank.  I'm lucky it didn't come back though, and if I had to do it again I'd use a more fail-safe method.

speckledmind

Old Method
Joe's Juice

New Method ( Last three weeks )
Joe's Juice on the large ones
and backed it up with 3 X Peppermint shrimps
My tanks a lot better now  :)

RoxyDog

peppermint shrimp are great, but boiled water in a syringe blasted right @ the polyp works beautifully too.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

groan

i need another excuse to add more stuff to my tank

groupie02

Got a batch of live rock from someone who had a really big aiptasia problem. I placed the rock in my QT with 3 new peppermint shrimp.  It took less than 2 days for all of the aiptasia to disappear.

As you know, aiptasia never really goes away, it's just that you no longer see it. That's OK because the aiptasia control crew is going in the tank with the rock.