Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clownfish pairing

Started by KLKelly, February 15, 2008, 09:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

Seeing the one fish being picked on mercilessly is really hard to watch.  Even though the other fish is completely submissive the one evil one will not leave it alone.  They were from redbelly and in a big bunch of them so its probably pairing off.

The submissive one is losing colour and its fins are getting tattered.

Will the mean one kill the small one?  If its possible I want to give away the evil one.

How long will it take them to work this thing out? The picked on one is actually hiding in a cave under the rocks in the live sand.

I can't stand mean fish  :'(

xenon

It's totally normal.

Do you have an anemone? If not, consider getting one. My female is also a bitch and she likes to beat up on my RBTA as well!

I have true percs and the 1st few weeks were rough.

az

if they are the same size it might never work in your small tank, good luck.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

KLKelly

They are similar sizes.  I think when hubby gets home - I'll ask him if I can give the mean one to a new home.

Heidi

What type of clowns are they? What about moving your set up into a larger tank to give them more room and then possibly add a BTA?  I can't remember if you said whether they were added at the same time - or at different times? If singly - then the one may have staked their territory and the second one is seen as an interloper (if that makes sense). But that wouldn't explain things if they were added at the same time...

It all depends on the species as well....tomatoes and maroons are notoriously aggressive while the false percs tend to be more passive.  I have a maroon that would kill another clown in a heart beat if i added another one to her tank. Yet in my 45 gal I was able to get 2 small tomatoes that have now paired off and are fine together. The now female used to pick on the now male alot and wouldn't let him near my LTA but now they are happy and content and share the LTA.  I also have a pair of false percs in our 20 long reef - they have been happy and content for the 2 years that we have had them.

Good luck.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

KLKelly

Thanks. 

They are occelaris - so false percs right?

They were added at the exact same time and got along fine for the first couple days spending the nights together on top of the maxijet.  I wonder if because my husband turned this back on if that caused the problems.

We can't afford everything needed to upgrade to a 30 gallon or larger right now.  I feel horrible for the beaten up one. 

They are in a 15 gallon right now.

I read on wetwebmedia about making a fake anenome made out of plastic.  There is a toadstool leather.  I wonder since they were tank bred/raised (i believe both) that they would host in anything.

bhotep

I had two ocellaris clowns that were slightly different sizes and were ok for a number of months but then one started to beat up the other quite badly so I took the very slightly smaller one out for a few weeks and then tried adding it back (I read this method sometimes works), however they fought fiercely again. I took the same one out again as it was the easier of the two to catch (cowering at the top corner of the tank). I bought a much larger ocellaris and added it to the first tank and they have been lovers ever since and have laid eggs three times so far. My advice would be to catch one and replace it with a lot larger one. I would also consider a larger tank. Good luck!

KLKelly

I am going back into big als today to get a net.  I posted an ad for the little meanie  :'(  I wish I could keep them both but the other one I feel too bad for.

If I can't catch the meanie as easily - is there something that I can buy at big al's to keep the run down one in.  I only have a 15 gallon so I'm sure my options are limited.

Thanks for everyones help.

KLKelly

Easy to catch NOT!  I did manage to catch the beaten up one this morning.  She's in a clear plastic breeder net with slits in the side and a built in air stone.  I wonder if I should turn this on?  Anthony Calfo did mention an airstone in tanks didn't he?  The little one is happily eating a chunk of shrimp.  The meanie either wants the shrimp or company. 

My husband wants to give it more time for them to pair up - he likes the misbanded one. 

How long could I leave the beaten up one in the breeder net?  And try again once she's recouperated a bit?  I can overfeed the mean one in the meantime.  I'll post a pic shortly.  His/her breathing seems to have calmed down a lot since she's been in isolation.

Thanks again everyone.

redbelly

Hey Kelly,
Are you free today?
If so swing by and bring tha clown. I will take him back.

KLKelly

Pat that is really nice of you. 

The problem is my husband has bonded with the evil one (who would have thought) since I posted.  The evil clown has an evil name too - Pennywise.  The clown has started following and nipping his hands when he's scooping the cyano out.

So with that said we'll see how the beaten up one does when he's put back in.  He looks much better in just two days in the box.