Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

actinics or 50/50??

Started by Darth, February 18, 2008, 01:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

OkAY I got a new fixture, it has metal halide and 2 65w pc, now should I use actinics, 50/50 one of each? I would like to keep some sps.
Thanks

groupie02

I would go with actinics. but that's just me   :)

kennyman

I like the extra fluorescence that corals and fish have under actinc too. I also like to use actinc over 50/50 because the dusk/dawn effect you can get by staggering the timers. Actinic can come on by themselves for a deep blue dawn, then your mh kicks in for daylight  8)

Vallely4

Hey, nice to see you got your fixture already!

Kennyman and groupie sum'ed it up. I would choose pure actinic myself having just halide. :)
It may vary aswell on which spectrum of kelvin rating your lamps are aswell. For example the 10 000k is much more yellow than a 20 000k lamp

What's the 'k' or kelvin rating of your halide bulbs, if I may ask?

Darth

Quote from: Vallely4 on February 18, 2008, 02:17:16 PM
Hey, nice to see you got your fixture already!

Kennyman and groupie sum'ed it up. I would choose pure actinic myself having just halide. :)
It may vary aswell on which spectrum of kelvin rating your lamps are aswell. For example the 10 000k is much more yellow than a 20 000k lamp

What's the 'k' or kelvin rating of your halide bulbs, if I may ask?
It's a 250w 15k hqi de, and 2 65w pc's

sniggir

very nice I have to agree you will have more than anough light with a 250w HQI... if you do some resurch on bulbs some will give you more intesity... I would definatly get the pure attinc's then you will have great coloration of your coral's
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!