Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills

Started by dpatte, January 30, 2004, 08:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

The Ottawa Field Naturalists Club, a naturalists club with several hundred active members, will be having their annual Mudpuppy Expedition this Feb 6th.

(Mudpuppies are a type of salamander that live below the ice - and this expeidition to to view these large totally aquatic salamaders)

Everyone is welcome to tag along for the visit. Here are the details.

Who would like to go, and who who would like to carpool?

----

Friday, February 6 — Leave Ottawa 6:45 p.m.
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills

Leaders: Fred Schueler and Stephen Darbyshire
of The Ottawa Field Naturalists Club

Our destination will be Oxford Mills just below the dam at the bridge in the village near the Brigadoon Restaurant (not the Hanlan Bridge outside - west or downstream of the settlement). We shall follow the Leeds-Grenville County Road 18 south from Kemptville. Expected arrival time 8:00 p.m. On most winter nights 20-50 Mudpuppies (Necturus maculosus) can be seen walking around actively in the clear shallow, often ice-covered water. The flat bedrock provides safe footing for viewing these giant aquatic salamanders. Rubber boots and a strong flashlight are recommended. Afterwards, we retire to the Brigadoon Restaurant to warm up and get refreshments. Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills occurs every Friday through the winter. This is the best Mudpuppy viewing in Ontario and also lots of fun for kids. See http://www.pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm

Eirikre

Sounds really neat. :D

I am definately interested.  I may be busy that weekend though so I will let you know.

Cool idea though

Eric :D