Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Everyone should read this

Started by jimskoi, January 29, 2008, 07:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

http://forum.marinedepot.com/FindPost80537.aspx

The link posted by Steven Pro:

This is from the site where Mr.Calfo moderates a forum. I am really surprised to see such a complete report about this very topic from 2005 given that everyone keeps saying "regulation needs more scientific input". Seems like the state government has a good idea of what's going on and how well the no-take zones are working. I wish I had read this earlier.

sniggir

realy good read... this becoming a very informative thread..
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

jimskoi

Gee.I never thought this would go so far..

It seems like everyone are feeling the same way.

I think they should slow down on the collecting.Its not the collecting thats the problem.Its th way they are collected.As for .50 per clown Wholesale.That is not even close.I have/do buy right from the suppliers in these areas and fish do come in DOA.I really dont like it.Its not fair to the fish/They are scooped out and put ion bags and then shipped.Who knows how they are handled before they get to me.
Tank raised are the way to go if you can.Its true the price is more but its up to the buyer if its really worth it or not.

If you buy from your LFS.Make sure they can show you their MAC certification to prove that they are tank bred.

Om another note.

I think that we are screwing up this world alot worst than just fish.
Look at how many tons of garbage that NY city dumps in the ocean every week.
Enough said.Getting depressed.lol

mseguin

Funny thing is I read that report quite differently than some. Look at Figure 3, what it shows me is that #1 yellow tang densities in the protected sites closely matches the control sites, which is good, because it means the populations can recover quickly, and #2, while densities in the active sites may have risen somewhat, it is still substantially less than in the protected sites (i.e. catching is undeniably having an effect on teh population densities).
Most of the described increases are non-statistically significant. I'll read more of it later, but so far, the conclusions drawn do not seen to match the strength of the data.

sniggir

here is another thing if a hobbiests we all started to by tank raised fish... maybe the companies might look into it and they wouldn't cost asmuch
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

mseguin

Finished reading the report, and the only real conclusion to be drawn from it is that the non-catch sites work well WITHIN THE SITE ITSELF, which is what you would expect but doesn't always happen. Even then, the data is limited on many of the species. The study itself recommends limiting catches of certain species, and needs more sampling done to provide more concrete results.

BigMomma

Folks,

Here is an update from our friend at the Department of Aquaculture for the state of Hawaii:

"Aloha,

Reason has prevailed with regard to the banning or limiting of
collection of Hawaiian ornamental fish.

Legislation has been moderated to closure of collection sites on each
island and having these area move around the island.  The fish will
continue to move into the retail channels.

len"

charlie

Quote from: BigMomma on February 19, 2008, 06:20:48 PM
Folks,

Here is an update from our friend at the Department of Aquaculture for the state of Hawaii:

"Aloha,

Reason has prevailed with regard to the banning or limiting of
collection of Hawaiian ornamental fish.

Legislation has been moderated to closure of collection sites on each
island and having these area move around the island.  The fish will
continue to move into the retail channels.

len"

Thanks for the update BigMomma, nothing like getting info from the horse`s mouth  ;)