Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

skimmer not working?

Started by Darth, February 20, 2008, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

Hey it's me again, so here's the problem, since I got a new lightr fixture there was no room to run my skimmer the collection cup got in the way, so my skimmer was off for a little over a week, well I have remedied the space problem, but now my skimmer is producing a lot of foam and it's filling the cup in like 5 min with almost clear water.
I am runnung a seaclone 100 if that helps, never had a problem with it before.

redbelly

You have to adjust the air going into the skimmer.

My seaclone would periodically just go crazy like that no matter what i did..

Darth

I have adjusted the flow and then I get tiny air bubbles in the tank, I just can't figure it out could it be the skimmer? Should I switch the powehead

redbelly

Thats a seaclone for you.
For mine to work as it was intended I got bubbles in the tank, there is nothing that you can do about that.
I dont think changing the ph will do much but its worth a shot.
Patrick

greddy

Just a guess but check your salinity level.  I have noticed a big difference related to skimming,when its too low or high. Also a good cleaning couldn't hurt..

Darth

my salinity is 1.025 I am do for a good skimmer cleaning, I will try that tomorrow
thanks

kat

have you done the mod on your seaclone? I did it to my old one and it made a huge difference...you need to cut the inside riser tube down to about 2-3 inches total length. This allows more air time contact with the bubbles as they rise and you get a thicker skimate.  Also, do you have a good valve on the airline tube or just the factory one with one thread? I changed mine out so that I could tweak it a little more precise and found that helped too..JME

Darth

okay well it seems that having my skimmer off for a few days made it throw a tantrum cause it wanted to be cleaned, get it a good cleaning and all is well now

Thanks