Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

High-Light Planted Tank -- part 2 -- hornwort FLOWERS!

Started by dannypd, March 05, 2005, 05:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannypd

After the other topic of my 'experiment' on high light, co2 and fish food + fish for ferts, my tank is BEAUTIFUL!!

The reason for this new post is the hornwort is now flowering...

Here's the pic:

dannypd

see the bubbles too??  there are so many of them being produced!!

BigDaddy

Yeah... when my 75 is in full gear, the entire surface of the water looks like a glass of champagne...

Pearling is such a confidence booster that you are doing things right....

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Mila

Pearling is such a confidence booster that you are doing things right....

Big Daddy can you explain this little better.
I have two identical tanks, 12g, planted, same lights (30W compact day light bulbs on each one), same filters, same water changes. Only difference is one has small driftwood and the other not.
One without driftwood is pearling, no alge at all, tank with driftwood is not pearling, and there is dark green alge.
Thanks
Mila

dpatte

is it dark blue-green slimy algae? or dark green hairy algae?

DonCorleone

Driftwood lowers the Ph of your tank, and maybe your plants prefer more alkaline water. Just one of the many possible reasons.

Mila

is it dark blue-green slimy algae? or dark green hairy algae?

It is dark blue-green slimy algae.
Mila

dpatte

You have 'blue-green algae' BGA which is not technically an algae but a bacterial culture. I have had it grow in only one of two identical tanks myself. It probably came in on something. To rid yourself of it read about 'blackouts' on the front of the website.
10-12 days and its cured.

dannypd

Quote from: "dpatte"You have 'blue-green algae' BGA which is not technically an algae but a bacterial culture. I have had it grow in only one of two identical tanks myself. It probably came in on something. To rid yourself of it read about 'blackouts' on the front of the website.
10-12 days and its cured.

If it truly is a bacterial algae, wouldn't a blackout not affect it??

dpatte

bga is a bacterium with chloroplasts. it needs light to generate energy

dannypd

Quote from: "dpatte"bga is a bacterium with chloroplasts. it needs light to generate energy

That is really good to know!!