Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

RO water

Started by cerickson, January 30, 2004, 10:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cerickson

Anyone know where I can get RO water in Ottawa? Preferably in the central south part of town since I don't have a car..

dpatte

I'm not sure where you could find it, but some drinking water suppliers have it.

I'm curious what you are planning to use it for. If its to reduce the hardness of your water, or to bring your pH closer to 7, by mixing it into your regular water, it would certainly work.

But i wouldnt suggest using pure RO water in an aquarium. RO water like distilled water has little or no salts/minerals/buffering/hardness at all - and water which is too soft can be harmful to your fish and be very suseptable to wild pH swings.

ambushman2j

I was told loblaws carries RO water

cerickson

Its just that a lot of places recommend using RO water for water changes in a marine tank.

I'm still looking into the fact of whether i'll even bother, but just wanted to know if i could get it if i were to use it.

dpatte

for water changes in a marine tank, i would agree that it would  be perfect after you add your salts to the RO water.

It should also be good for topping off evaporation in any tank.

cerickson

Yea I'm going to give Loblaws a call and see, they are near me..

Its hard not having a car, and living in my area (glebe).. there aren't really any good supply stores out here, as opposed to big als and superpet out west.

cerickson

abushman.

the loblaws water you mentioned; is it the bulk water?

ambushman2j

I am not sure, it was a couple of months ago I had seen that there