Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How much flow / what to buy?

Started by warr0088, March 02, 2008, 12:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warr0088

So I have my 20gal. nano up and running with liverock and good lighting on the way, I am in need of some flow at this point!  I have an AC 300 on the back with an AC 20 motor which will be used as a fuge. 

Other than that, I have nothing.  What should I be purchasing ?  One hydor koralia and one maxi-jet ?  What size ?

I am setting up a reef tank with a few SPS, mostly LPS and softies ... I don't need a wavemaker / timer do I ?

Thanks!

sniggir

I would get 2 Hydor 2's and a hydor 1... i realy like these pumps the dispersment is great.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

warr0088

Okay, so all that on top of the AC 300?  Is that not overkill?  I was told I should throw at least one maxi-jet in there since you can control the flow.  Any reason to do this?

Appreciate your comments!

sniggir

I don't think that it would be to much flow at all.. the AC you will be using as a refugium so you will have it throddled back.. and they generaly do more for surface movement than curulation.. the best type of flow is gentle with wide dispersment. as for the MJ if you modded it by cutting off the tip and put it on a timer then you would have a mulity direction pump... but I think that you would be better off with the hydors. in my 65 I have 3 hydor 3's two 1's and a mag 9.5 as my return.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

warr0088

I'm also thinking cost efficiency as well.  That's over $100 just for waterflow - ouch.  Where's the best place to purchase these? 

sniggir

the best is to look for used if it is the cost effective way you are looking, these are some of the most imortant parts of your system so you don't want to skimp on your flow.  I have to admit that I generaly buy used equiment... just make sure that it is in good shape and you can save a decent amout of money.

pitabread

3 Koralias in a 20 gallon is going to eat up a lot of real estate.  I'd probably go with couple Tunze Nanostream 6025's, since they are smaller.  But if money is an object, then a couple Koralia 2's will do.

The reason to having a wavemaker/timer and using Maxijets is to add random flow.  This way your corals aren't constantly getting a single flowstream ad naseum.  You don't *need* to do that, but it's better for the corals (particularly since you want to have some SPS in there).

warr0088

Yeah great point on the realestate issue.  I'm paying Ray a visit and will check out the Hydro's there, hopefully will get a better idea of size / flow!

Thanks!