Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Return pump NEED advice

Started by AttiTude, March 02, 2008, 12:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AttiTude

Hi all!
I'm currently setting up a 25gal. DT tank with 10gal. sump.Since i have limited space i want to go "big" on the return pump so it could provide plenty of flow in my DT.I want to try to avoid having powerheads in the DT.
I have the usual bulkhead(1 1/2")with a DIY 3" to 1 1/2" surface skimmer to the sump.There is about 3' of head.I'm planning on putting a "T" on the return sump to create an equal flow in the DT.
Now is that possible at all to do?
If so what kind of pump should i use?
A quiet pump with low watts(low heat) would be nice too.

Thanks in advance for any info.

P

sniggir

what you are talking about is called a closed loop, now you can run it from you return but not as effectively.... generaly people will drill multiple holes and run a second pump externaly.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

xenon

Closed loops are just not worth the trouble on small tanks.

It makes a whole lot more sense to use them on tanks that are so big that powerheads are just not effective enough.

groupie02

What he's talking about is an overflow like the one in my picture. Basically, he wants a pump that will return the same amount of water as what goes down to his sump with this overflow.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the overflow will not drain more water than what's available via the return pump.  However, it is possible for the return pump to push more water than what the overflow can take and drain the return section of the sump and flooding/overflowing the display tank.

For your 25g, you could go with a Mag 3 or something bigger throttled back.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AttiTude

Thanks for the info.
Found a pump(dont have a name or model)but it says it's 2000l/hr(528gal/hr).The input on the pump is 1" and the output is 1/2".
I have about 3' of head,2x90 degrees and 1x45 degrees.I dunno how much output i get in the DT but it moves a bit the substrate in the bottom(tank is 20" high).
I'll add a nice powerhead and i think i should have enough flow.
Here is some pics.Just started today  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

sniggir

do as you wish but I still think you need 2 hydor 2's ontop of your return....
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

AttiTude

How quiet are the Hydor ?
I know they are kind of "bulky" but if it is what i need i'll get thoses instead of powerheads.

groupie02

my hydor koralia is pretty quiet. Now, I know that doesn't say much. I can't hear it over the noise that my HOB skimmer makes.

HTH

sniggir

I love these pumps as they have great power consumption, are magnet mounted, and are quiet, the hydor 2's don't take up to much real estate I know the 3 and the 4 are huge but the 1 and the 2 are not bad.

Funkmotor

The Koralia 2's are quiet, but I find they stick out way too far into the tank.

Seriously, they stick out at least 6 inches...and that's a lot in a 25 gallon tank.  Put one on each side and it's just craziness.

I like the Tunze nanostreams better.  They really move water, and they don't stick out nearly as far.  The magnet mount is superior to the Koralia mount in every way.

Sure, they'll cost you 20 or 30 bucks extra, but IMHO they're worth it.

Anyone wants to see a size comparison I can take some pictures...I have one of each that's not in water right now.

sniggir

I would have to agree if you don't mind spending the extra on the Tunze they are definatly the better pump... here is some info

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream Pump - 6025

Tunze Turbelle Nanostream Pump - 6025

$71.70 CDN

Inventory Status: Instock

Quantity:

Design is much more than only styling of existing products. It is the expression of an idea and a concept; it opens one's eyes.

The Turbelle nanostream combines aesthetics and function. This innovative circulation pumps sets new records. At a diameter of only 2.7", it enables a waterflow of up to 1189gph at an energy consumption of only 8 watts.

The spherical shape permits an ingenious 3D setting of the direction of flow. As a standard feature, the Turbelle nanostream is supplied with a magnetic holder which allows an uncomplicated attachment at any position on the aquarium.

Specifications:

- Flow Rate: 660 GPH
- Recommended Aquarium Size: Up to 50 Gallons
- Energy Consumption: 7 Watts
- Variable Speed Control: NO

RossW

Quote from: Funkmotor on March 03, 2008, 07:30:45 PM
Anyone wants to see a size comparison I can take some pictures...I have one of each that's not in water right now.

Yes please!

Funkmotor