Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How long do you run your skimmer for?

Started by Zoe, March 16, 2008, 04:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe

kennyman

I use a very small hob skimmer and don't concider it capable of removing removing too much of anything from my tank under normal conditions. but I do turn it off for several hours once or twice a week when I dose live phytoplankton.

Bubbles

Tunze 9005 on a 65g

2-3 days on, 1 day off

redbelly

MR6 and octopus dnw110
24-7-365 except for cleaning they never shut off.

sniggir

Same here 24/7  accept for when I am cleaning. just doesn't make sence to turn it off.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Darth

pwrca

I'm currently running 2 HOB skimmers 24/7.  One Coralife 125 and a PrismPro, the  coralife is the newer of the two.  I do find that the coralife is more efficient.

sniggir

Pete brings up a good point accualy that calfo discussed, it is better to run 2 skimmers than just one as all skimmers are built differently and will skimm out different things
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

Zoe

Quote from: sniggir on March 16, 2008, 10:59:59 PM
Pete brings up a good point accualy that calfo discussed, it is better to run 2 skimmers than just one as all skimmers are built differently and will skimm out different things

That ever run the risk of overskimming?

sniggir

if you don't do WC and and other basic tank maintenance, and are running a high quality skimmer you can take out some of the good... with the bad but as long as you are up to par with normal maintenance everything is all good.

kennyman

I believe Overskiming is more related to what your trying to cultivate. If we continue on with our Anthony Calfo revisited Theme  ::)  he also suggested several times that we attempt to bioscape our marine tanks. There are many zones to coral reefs divided in both depth, proximity to shore or ocean and formation. There are also a lot of species we keep that don't even live on the reef proper but muddy bottoms near estuaries where the nutrient load is so heavy you cant see 20 feet in front of you  :o

The idea of bioscaping in SW exists but does not often get practiced. Just like in the FW hobby when people first get into it, they buy fish willy-nilly and don't concider feeding and habitat needs of the fish. We need to think about this with respect to sessile inverts as well as cleanup crew and the fish too.

sniggir

very true, but even then he states that he still runs a skimmer even on his high nutrient tanks, but increases feedings.

SuperT

asm g-3 24/7 and a coralife 220 24/7.

Terry