New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New with a question...

Started by ReefGirl, April 20, 2008, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReefGirl

Hi everyone! Recently new to the "reef" world - 3 months in with a 90G system. So far so good!!! parameters: [temp 78.5, sg 1.024, pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, calcium 380, dKH 9], water changes weekly 15-20%.

So far, we have 3 fish (2 percula clowns and a blue-green chromis) and a few inverts and corals. (See complete list below.) Everyone keeps telling us patience is key, but it's been really hard to go slooooowwwww. We've been adding one or two things at a time, every couple of weeks.

??? We just discovered something new in our tank last night. Up until now we have been keeping our moonlights on all night but decided to experiment a little. Last night we turned off our moonlights for a few hours of complete darkness. When we turned the lights back on to our surprise there were hundreds of tiny, orange/translucent critters swimming EVERYWHERE in the tank. Anybody know what they are??? Harmful or not??? Any suggestions on how long we should be keeping the moonlights on??? Appreciate any feedback.  :)

sdivell

my guess is that they're probably bristle worms.

they're just ugly, not harmful from what I know.

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/bristleworm.htm

ReefGirl

We had a bristle worm before and what I saw doesn't look anything like it. What's in our tank is the size of a pinhead...really small. Hard to describe because they are so tiny and hard to see in any great detail.

Darth

Actually sounds like copepods or amphipods
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/amphipodfaqs.htm

sdivell

sorry, yup I agree Darth.. if they're really small then yup thats what they are... food for ur fishies

Darth

I leave my moonlights on all night, they are on a timer as soon as my actinics go off the moons go on

Don't know if this helps, as this is just my way, I am not sure if there is a proper time to leave them on for

ReefGirl

Thanks Darth for the link. The first picture on there is one of the things that I have seen in our tank.

fishead

yeah they are harmless free fish food =)

AdamN

Agree, probably pods. Also, my moonlights are on 24/7