Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to buy heater guards?

Started by KLKelly, June 02, 2008, 10:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I need heater guards for a jager and a stealth heater and can't find them.
I've looked at big als, mops, petsandponds and j&L aquatics.  Any other ideas?

Thanks. Karrie.

Vizerdrix

Try contacting Pat or Eric at Fishtails.  If they don't have them in stock, they may be able to order them for you and they will be here in a couple of days.

littlelil

nowhere i've looked has them. only SuperPet did  :-[

i've looked...oh, believe me, i've looked. I do know that a few people on OVAS has them. Someone offered to sell theirs to me for a VERY reasonable price. I never ended up picking it up due to laziness.... though i DO still want and need it. try posting something.

lil.

Dorrie

I know for a fact that La Niche http://laniche.ca/map.html sells the Tronic heater guards, and that these can fit Ebo Jager heaters (at least, mine fits ::)). To be extra sure, you can bring your heater in and the nice people there will help you find a right fit :)

As for Stealth heaters, I don't think a guard is really necessary, as my parent's angelfish lay their eggs without fail on the Strealth heater and have suffered no injury thus far... (don't ask me why they lay on the heater when there's plenty of slate to use... :-\)

BigDaddy

Why would you need a heater guard for a Stealth?  You aren't going to have to worry about a fish shattering one of those... no glass.

KLKelly

I've been told I can make a DIY one out of craft mesh.

I have mutant fancy goldfish and along with them comes a high prevalence of swim bladder disorders (floating or sinking).  One of mine just got burned by resting against the heater even straight up and down.  I have two tanks with floating goldfish - one has an ebo and one has a stealth.  I've put the one heater in the bubble wand hoping to discourage it but I'm not 100% sure it won't happen again.

KLKelly

Fishtails can order hagen ones but I wouldn't know if they fit before they come in.

I may try the tronic one if it would fit the ebo - thats the one I'm most concerned about.

Thanks for the advice.

BigDaddy

I could see a fish getting burned by a high watt glass heater.  I've held my hand against a Stealth when it was on underwater and it only got warm to the touch.

That's sort of the pro/con with the stealth.  Shatterproof, but might take longer than a conventional heater to react to a temp change (like an open window in winter or introducing cold water etc...)