Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY custom acrylic tank - 60G loooooonnng

Started by Brine, May 21, 2008, 10:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brine

I am considering making a custom acrylic tank. I can get a tank 8 feet long by just under 1 foot tall and just under 1 foot wide with bracing out of one 4' by 8' sheet of 3/8" cast acrylic. That is just under 60G and very long! I like the idea but I don't know what I would stock it with. Currently I am thinking of keeping my two Gibbecepts Plecos in it or filling it with plants and Cardinals. I think it would be cool to have something more exotic like a Ornate Polypterus or something in it but with such a short tank it would jump out for sure. Any suggestions?
I am also considering making more than one tank and selling them. I think I could sell them for about $300 and make a little profit. Any interest?

Funkmotor

It occurs to me that, if you had enough flow end to end, you'd have a really cool river tank.  Put some rocks in there to give the fish some less turbulent spots to hang out in, use grasses and larger pebbles on coarse soil for the substrate, put 10-15 rainbows in there, and I reckon it would look pretty cool.

Redbelly has two tanks and 2 sumps like this in his setup, and it's really cool to see the fish in them going one end to the other.  Of course, they're marine, but the concept is there.

Of course, rainbows jump too, so you'd want to eggcrate the top of it or something to keep them in there.

fischkopp

Yeah, that would be a nice tank, if I just had a free 8ft wall  ::)

I saw a tank like this; it was actually 10ft long, unfortunately dry though. I saw that both ends were drilled and setup with 1.5" bulkheads ... must be a nice river setup.

The only thing you you want to be careful with is the thickness of acrylic. I cant tell you what would be appropiate, but you dont want the tank to bend too much.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031