Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to buy fish shipping supplies?

Started by irene, May 17, 2008, 07:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irene

Like bags or breather bags and so on..anywhere local or just online?

Irene

dan2x38

Here is the maker of the breather bags: http://www.novalek.net/vshop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Aquarium+%26+Pond+Accessories If you decide to order I will be in for some. PM sent.

edit: Couldn't find styro boxes in Ottawa maybe someone else will know BUT... it occurred to me if good quality cardboard boxes were bought then styrofoam insulation sheets could be cut to fit the sides then bottom & top... pack properly your off and running or shipping. You could seal the seams to add heat/cool packs a day or 2 before shipping but I'd be careful of what sealant I used especially with breathing bags. Maybe just tape up the joints?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

irene

I did see styrofoam coolers at canadian tire that might work.  They were pretty cheap like $3 or something.  Does anyone know if you need to treat the water with anything? Besides prime I mean..

Irene

Vizerdrix

As far as I know, most people just buy the coolers from Canadian Tire or other similar stores and just rinse them out before use.  I know I've done it!

If you want to be safe, use a small touch of bleach, then rinse the dickens out of it, then let it sit with water treated with Prime to remove any extra chlorine that might be left.

charlie

Quote from: Vizerdrix on May 18, 2008, 09:35:51 AM
As far as I know, most people just buy the coolers from Canadian Tire or other similar stores and just rinse them out before use.  I know I've done it!

If you want to be safe, use a small touch of bleach, then rinse the dickens out of it, then let it sit with water treated with Prime to remove any extra chlorine that might be left.
I maybe reading it wrong, but i get the impression the Styrofoam boxes Will be for placing the fish bags into for temperature control, so the need for washing & bleaching may not be required .

Vizerdrix

That's what I assumed too, but since Irene mentioned the need for cleaning them, it might have been for one of her river forays. ;)

irene

So no one knows of anywhere local to get breather bags?  What about online canadian sites?  Looking for jungle bag buddies too...

Irene

charlie

Quote from: irene on May 19, 2008, 05:56:37 PM
So no one knows of anywhere local to get breather bags?  What about online canadian sites?  Looking for jungle bag buddies too...

Irene
Irene, check with our sponsors Fishtails , i will PM you another possible local source.
Regards

Dave and Diane

We found that if you ask the local fish stores they are sometimes willing to give away their fish shipping boxes that they have recieved fish in.
Plus more will sell you fish bags if asked.
When we were in Winnipeg and members of the ASW the club sold different size of fish bags to its membership.

Hope this helps

RossW

http://www.aquanourriplus.com/boutique/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=345

Breathing Bags are a patented ethylene shipping bags that provide a completely new approach to long-term shipping of live fishes, invertebrates and plants. The special plastic film allows transfer of oxygen from the surrounding air directly into the water.

dan2x38

Link I posted sells 25 med. (7.5" x 11.5") for $4 plus shipping.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."