Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need advice on DIY 180G tank

Started by ikon, June 02, 2008, 01:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikon

Hello

well I am in the planning phases of building a 6' x 2' x 2' tank
and my first questions are

1) is glass better than acrylic and where could I purchase the materials needed?

2) do I need to brace the aquarium?

Thanx
Gregg

ikon

Hmm  well I was just calling around local places
for 1/2" 6' x 2' pane of glass and they are talking
200+ per piece of glass. I was not expecting that

I would still like PPL's thoughts on this kind of project
is it doable ? maybe acrylic is more affordable ?
or am I better off just buying the tank.

CrazyFish

Do a search on the forum for acrylic since I recall a few talks about larger tanks. 

Here's on that might get you thinking:

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=21164.0

I believe there was talk of starfire glass recently as well and some of the local stores are carrying the larger tanks.
90G Planted tank
65G Large Goldfish/Koi
48G Smaller Goldfish.
20G South American tank
10 Gallon Goldfish growout

Vizerdrix

I believe Canus Plastics will give OVAS members a discount on acrylic.  Ask Brine, he used to work there.

Funkmotor

The first thing I'll ask is if you have ever built a tank from scratch...even a small one.

If the answer is no, then stop right now and just count on buying the tank.  There is a serious amount of effort in building one of these, and the size you want can be ordered stock or made for you to your specifications.  Things like glass thickness, bracing (how much and where), and how it's assembled will affect the final product.  You'll need ample (and level) work area, numerous braces and clamps, and so on and so on.  One bad seam and you've got to do the whole thing again.  Really.

I don't think I could trust a 180G tank that I had built not to split its seams and wreck my house.   :'(  In any case, having someone else build it means there's less for you to worry about.

I know that at least RedBelly and Ray on here are able to have custom tanks made, even using Starphire glass and with overflows of your choice and so forth.  There might be others as well, but I know at least those two can do it.

Such a large tank will not be inexpensive.   :o

There is a point (250G maybe?) where acrylic makes more sense than glass.  Before that point it's not price-competitive, and the fact that it does scratch more easily than glass cannot be ignored.  Of course for monster tanks, it's acrylic all the way.

Hope that helps.  :)

ikon

Thanks

It does help and so far my research is telling me that it is easier and cheaper to just buy on pre-made
but thank you for the advise,  not sure the wife would have been all that please with me had I made it then have a seem split.  lol  big trouble there let me tell you