Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

thought on freezer tropical tank

Started by presto, May 30, 2008, 03:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

presto

I met this guy who uses an old freezer to keep his fishing bait outside.
There are 100's of minnows kept in there all summer.

Anyone try to turn a freezer into an outdoor tropical tank?
Since it is insulated, a heater plugged in might keep the water from freezing over winter.

I have an old freezer in my shed right now and I am thinking of building a pond. My hope is to store the fish in the freezer over the winter.

sdivell

I'm not sure how well that insulation would work during the colder months in Canada.  The Freezer insulation is usually fighting a temp difference of roughly 84 degrees (76 indoor to -8 inside freezer). In the colder months you'll be looking at closer to 110 degree difference... you might have trouble keeping the heat in the tank.

Not to mention you'll have to go out in the snow and feed your fish everyday

Vizerdrix

What's the interior like?  Some of those old ones had metal interiors that tend to rust, I wouldn't want to put my fishies in there. :)

Sue

Quote from: sdivell link=topic=28269.msg186717#msg186717

Not to mention you'll have to go out in the snow and feed your fish everyday
/quote]

You don't feed fish once the water gets cold.
Wouldn't the seal on the lid prevent them from getting enough oxygen?

dan2x38

The liner is not water tight. I'd be concerned about what bacertia might have leached into the liner & insulation. Besides the things mentioned a cool idea for a basement maybe to winter your fish.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

jimskoi

Freezers work great.I used to have 2 of them that I had plumed together to my Koi in for the winter time.Aslong as the water is moving it dosent freeze.I you dont need to feed them when its cold.
I drilled them and put it bulkheads and both of them run into a sump.I had it in a garage for the winter(non heated)

presto

Thanks for the input everyone.
Once the pond is built I'll be giving it a try.