Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

FW Surface Skimmer

Started by dan2x38, July 08, 2008, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

I have 2 surface skimmers: Aqua-Clear and Lee Aquariums. I used the Lee Aquariums one on Latios 20g with WCMM & Cherry Shrimp. I noticed the flow was messed up when it had been working perfectly. After examining it I found the corrugated pick-up hose erode in the joints of the hose, strange. So I had replaced the hose with 5/8" clear tubing I had kicking around. But instead moved the Aqua-Clear one onto that tank. I first had tried it on my 38g planted tank but the floating grate kept bobbing in and out of the water making to much noise and messed up the intake flow so I used it on a breeder tank. I also managed to break a piece of the grate that would allow a fish to slip into it. To guard against this I cut out a piece of sponge so it is cylindrical shaped then cut a round hole down the middle. I fit the sponge into the grate the adjusting rod fits in the middle doesn't snag and the float does not bob up & down messing with the flow or making noise.

So I decided to try this back on my 38g. I cut some 5/8" hose and a piece of sponge for the grate. I was able to move the pick-up further away from the AC70 filter. The sponge stops any gurgling too. With the pick-up futher away it actually skims the surface much better. It works perfect now and it is so simple.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RossW

Do you have any pictures?

KLKelly

I had it hooked up to an AC70 once and my biggest complaint was how close it was to the outflow.  Good idea.

Don't you risk burning out your motor if the water level drops?

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on July 08, 2008, 07:51:11 PM
I had it hooked up to an AC70 once and my biggest complaint was how close it was to the outflow.  Good idea.

Don't you risk burning out your motor if the water level drops?

I will take some pics Ross. Kerrie the pick-up takes in water from the top & bottom. The skimmer portion is always below water with my sponge in place.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

ahhh I didn't realize that.  Its been a long time since I had it set up. Thanks Dan.