Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need info abt Aquaclear Filter motors

Started by dpatte, April 30, 2008, 06:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

Someone has said that the aquaclear filter motors are interchangeable between the various sizes of aquaclears.

Are the motors the same size, but just the impellers different sizes, or are there different motors sizes as well?

I guess what I'm really asking is:

For each aquaclear filter, how can I tell if it has the 'correct' motor?

Are the different motors marked with different numbers, and which motor matches which filter?

Thanks
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

charlie

Dave , i think they all use the same motor with different impellers , the largest one the 500/110 is the exception , it has a different motor & possible the 300 too ??

mila

They all have same motor (7W), impellers are different( A630, 632, 634, 636)
Only 110/500 has 14W motor, impeller A638.

dpatte

I did some checking, and have found my own answer, and charlie - you are right.

Except for the 110/500 which has its own motor/impeller system, the others all use the same motor - the only difference is that they use different impellers.

Ok - now that we have figured that out, who has actually tried running an AC using the wrong impeller (since thats the only difference) - It should not be a problem for the motor, but does the impeller fit in the case, and can you increase flow by moving up to the next impeller?

I mean - has anyone here tried an AC300 impeller in a mini?

1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

charlie

Quote from: dpatte on April 30, 2008, 07:13:09 PM
I did some checking, and have found my own answer, and charlie - you are right.

Except for the 110/500 which has its own motor/impeller system, the others all use the same motor - the only difference is that they use different impellers.

Ok - now that we have figured that out, who has actually tried running an AC using the wrong impeller (since thats the only difference) - It should not be a problem for the motor, but does the impeller fit in the case, and can you increase flow by moving up to the next impeller?

I mean - has anyone here tried an AC300 impeller in a mini?

I have never tried to increase the flow in a smaller AC but have done the reverse , by using the AC 200 filter with a Mini impeller. i would imagine the increase flow in a small housing ( 300 impeller in a mini filter).could run the risk of water over flow.

PaigesDad

I have tried to increase the flow by switching impellers, and it does come really close to over flow.  I did not leave it in as I had carpets at the time!