Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shells from the dollar store!

Started by Pisidan, February 23, 2004, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pisidan

Just wondering if anyone knew if these would be ok with my fish I dont see any chemicals added and it says decorative so was wondering what others though they r for my shellies!!

Eirikre

A lot of shells at the store may be varnished but I don't think that would affect your tank.
As a side note don't put a dried starfish in your tank.  I had one around the house and I put it in my tank.  Bad move.  Within a week it was all rotten and stinky and gross.   It also disintegrated when I tried to get it out.  I had to clean the whole tank.  Stupid beginner mistake.  Just thought I'd share the lesson learned.

Pisidan

Ok thanxs ..lol..starfish goo yuck LOL..lesson learned I guess!!

dpatte

perhaps im a purist, but i'd never put ocean shells in a freshwater tank.

artw

I'll bet that Pisidian is only one of two people in Ottawa who have authentic Lake Malawi lanistes snail shells in their tanks:D

Pisidan

Ohh yeah ;-) Now Im all into wanting to make a Tang tank I just need a 40 gallon long and money now LOL!!

artw

Jody has shells from Tanganikya I believe.

I have a 40 gallon long you can have if I am able to sell the fish separately.

Pisidan

I would love to have it...I will be doing my taxes and should get a return so maybe than I can buy it from you than..if you can sell your fishies separate!! Also would like some of those tang shells LOL!!