Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pressure CO2 Diffusion

Started by Nelson, April 11, 2005, 09:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelson

Greetings...I recently purchased Milwaukee's MA957 CO2 pressure system and am now looking for the most efficient way of introducing the gas in the tank.  I've been told some folks diffuse the gas by injecting it into the supply hose in a canister filter.  The movement of the water in the canister breaks up the bubbles which are then introduced to the water on the exhaust side.  Makes sense, but how is this done?  Any drawbacks?  Any other methods/suggestions?  

As usual your help is appreciated....Nelson

NjOyRiD

where did you get your pressurised co2 system?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Nelson

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"where did you get your pressurised co2 system?

Bought it privately.  If you're thinking of buying one my research tells me that this Milwaukee model is the mosty popular.  Here's the info FYI

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/mw_ma957.htm

NjOyRiD

the price is it us? you bought it from there?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Nelson

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"the price is it us? you bought it from there?

I bought it locally from a hobbyist.  Four months old including 5lb filled tank for $175.00.  Not an outstanding deal but not much more than if bought in the US.  The same regulator with solenoid and bubble counter delivered would be $118.00 CAD, then add the price of the filled tank, around $50.00.

NjOyRiD

370g System

redbelly

what kind of filter are you using? puting the airline into the intake of the filter is generally for canister filters but it doesnt work of the fluvals. ok well it does work, but it just makes them very noisey! you can use a co2 ladder or do a post for a co2 diffuser that bigdaddy posted a while ago. it was a very nice inline co2 diffuser.

Nelson

Quote from: "redbelly"what kind of filter are you using? puting the airline into the intake of the filter is generally for canister filters but it doesnt work of the fluvals. ok well it does work, but it just makes them very noisey! you can use a co2 ladder or do a post for a co2 diffuser that bigdaddy posted a while ago. it was a very nice inline co2 diffuser.
Thanks redbelly...actually I have an Eheim and  Fluval on the planted tank and if I was going to go with the injected CO2 I would somehow be injecting it into the smooth Eheim hose.  I'll check to see if BigDaddy's diffusor is still available.  Haven't heard from him for awhile though.

Ron

Hi Nelson,

You can either inject the CO2 directly into the inlet of the Eheim intake or make an inline diffuser like the one we have in our plant section here:

http://ovas.ca/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=35

I use both methods, though if you are injecting a larger tank, the inline reactor works more efficiently.

Cheers,     Ron

Nelson

Quote from: "Ron"Hi Nelson,

You can either inject the CO2 directly into the inlet of the Eheim intake or make an inline diffuser like the one we have in our plant section here:

http://ovas.ca/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=35

I use both methods, though if you are injecting a larger tank, the inline reactor works more efficiently.

Cheers,     Ron

Thanks Ron, that's great information.  I really like the reactor idea.  One question though, what is used to inject CO2 into the hose line?  BTW, my planted tank is a 65 but the way I'm getting involved with this I may plant my 120 as well (assuming my discus don't object :wink: )

Ron

I may not be following your question Nelson, but the CO2 line going into the reactor comes from the needle valve attached to the regulator on the CO2 tank, with a bubble counter somewhere inline between the needle valve and reactor.

If you are referring to feeding the CO2 directly into the Eheim intake without any reactor, I just run the airline from the needle valve to a bubble counter, then directly into the strainer inlet on the intake side of the filter.

If I've misunderstood your question, please try again :) ,

Ron

Nelson

Quote from: "Ron"I may not be following your question Nelson, but the CO2 line going into the reactor comes from the needle valve attached to the regulator on the CO2 tank, with a bubble counter somewhere inline between the needle valve and reactor.

If you are referring to feeding the CO2 directly into the Eheim intake without any reactor, I just run the airline from the needle valve to a bubble counter, then directly into the strainer inlet on the intake side of the filter.

If I've misunderstood your question, please try again :) ,

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for your comments and suggestion.  I had considered feeding the line into the filter intake pipe but was leaning toward injectiing the gas into the Eheim hose, using some type of syringe apparatus or a air pump "needle" of the type used to pump up ball etc.  I'm now thinking that the least complicated route to take is inserting the gas line into the intake as you pointed out .