Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

planted tank needs an haircut

Started by NjOyRiD, April 14, 2005, 10:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

can i have any advices please? thanx
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

scottmd

I just snip them off bud, replant with the trimmings. My 10 gallon is the "grower for all my other tanks.

Roop

trimming the plants needs to be done with care, not for the well being of the plants because if you're trimming them they must be doing ok, but for the look of the tank.

i usually try to visualize how my tank would look with a plant missing, smaller or lower.  if you don't do this, your lush overgrown tank my look pretty crappy after you remove too much of your nice plants. speaking of which, i was supposed to trim my plants last week.

i still have an excess of rotala and my tiger lotus' take up a good chunk of the tank. don't get me started on the giant hygro. that is now the size of a small bushy tree and is well out of the aquarium.

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "scottmd"I just snip them off bud, replant with the trimmings. My 10 gallon is the "grower for all my other tanks.

do you use co2 in your 10g? what kind of lightdo you have?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "Roop"trimming the plants needs to be done with care, not for the well being of the plants because if you're trimming them they must be doing ok, but for the look of the tank.

i usually try to visualize how my tank would look with a plant missing, smaller or lower.  if you don't do this, your lush overgrown tank my look pretty crappy after you remove too much of your nice plants. speaking of which, i was supposed to trim my plants last week.

i still have an excess of rotala and my tiger lotus' take up a good chunk of the tank. don't get me started on the giant hygro. that is now the size of a small bushy tree and is well out of the aquarium.

its my java fern..it grows fast and i was wondering its i can replant the new ones....

my wisteria will grow over the tank soon LOL gotta cut that..can i replant it?
370g System