Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lights

Started by synodontis, July 30, 2008, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

synodontis

I currently have 4 - 36" Eclipse natural daylight tubes over my 72"  african cichlid tank (24" deep), planted with anubias and java fern.  Thinking of also adding some hygrophila corymbosa.  Is my lighting OK for these plants?  Any suggestions welcome.

Also, I have a recommendation to replace my lighting system with the Current USA Orbit 72" 4 x 96 Watt Power Compact Strip Light W/4 Lunar Lights - not so much for the plants, but more for the overall effect.  Any experience with this system?

dan2x38

I would not buy the Current light fixture for growing those plants. They grow very slowly. In fact you'd likely grow algae on them which is quite common for these plants under high lighting. Plus in an African tank there are very few plants you'll be able to grow because they will eat it, up root them, or pull apart in search of algae. The hygrophila corymbosa might not make it either. If you want to try it in a pot then stick it in the substrate that way. Good luck...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."