Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

skimmer question

Started by kennyman, August 19, 2008, 07:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

OK maybe this question is more main stream.

I do not want to loose any room in my sump to the skimmer and I do not want to deal with hob issues either. So I feel I need to go with an external skimmer. I have looked at many models over the past couple of weeks and there seems to be a common problem with them. They have to be lifted high enough that the skimmer output clears the top of the sump wall. Unless I want to drill the sump which I would rather avoid  :D

What kind of external skimmer is best for clearing a 16" sump wall and leaves enough room for the collection cup? The interior of my cabinet has around 26" of vertical working space and 16" x 16" of free realestate. So what do you have and how is it working?

And while we are talking external skimmers how well does gravity-feeding them from the overflow work?

redbelly

I know on the octopus skimmers the output riser is not glued. The new models have the distance between the bottom of the output and the top of the collection cup at 11" which is to much for your 10" opening. But the older version of the octo recirc's have the output located several inches higher which would give you your required clearance. Now in terms of performance difference, on the old version I find that when i first instal this skimmer on a system (I am currently moving it around between all the tanks we are starting up here..) I have the trottle wide open. Because the output riser is so high I find this creates the perfect skim for about the first 2 days and then I turn it down slightly. All in all not a lot of adjustment space which is why I believe they lowered the output on the new model.

My point being that I think you could easily move the output 2 inches higher (which would give you the clearance to put the external octo under your stand) and it would still be lower that the older version and so should still work very well.

Now as for gravity feed, are you thiking of running all of your overflow through your skimmer?
What size is your return pump?