Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Glossostigma - Howto?

Started by fischkopp, August 12, 2008, 10:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

I was wondering how I could improve the growth of glosso.

Now, growing it is not the problem, it spreads like weed. But I would like it to propagate more within the gravel bed, just showing the leafs. I wouldnt mind if it - after some time - grows above, then I could just prune it. For me unfortunatelly, it always shoots straight out of the gravel first, propagating above the gravel second.

The tank specs are: 15 gal lit over 10h by 100W T5HO (mixed 6.7k and 18k) with enough CO2 and ferts provided to avoid a major algae desaster.

Any tips and tricks are welcome :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

BigDaddy

This is normal for glosso.  The reason most people stop growing it is because of the "two tier" nature of having to trimm the "second layer" all the time to keep the substrate layer in the light.

It is more likely to do it in gravel than in sand, simply because the young shoots just don't have anything to cling to.

Changing your substrate probably isn't an option, but really if you want to eliminate the problem, you have to go with a finer grain of substrate.

zima

I am having the same sort of issue with Glosso. Having larger than average gravel (Eco), I notice that Glosso tends to shoot upwards rather than sending shoots to the side. I was persistent on burying the shoots in the gravel and "forcing" them to spread to the sides until the "second layer" was created. Since then I am pruning it almost on a weekly basis to try and get the carpet effect. Lots of work, but worth the while, in my opinion..

fischkopp

Hmm, good point with the gravel. I am actually not very happy with Eco: too light, to many different grain sizey (and of course the big ones end up on the surface).

I may try Zima's idea, but I am probably not able to keep up with the gowth. Sigh, looks like I will have to move it to another tank ...
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

I got rid of mine for that reason. You could use a piece of glass on top of it for several days. I used thick plexi-glass but still had to trim and it is tough doing it.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

jetstream

Are the followings what you hoping to see?

I think mine is Glossostigma elatinoides sp "Shy" from Germany!  :D

Don't take it too serious!  ;) Couldn't tell you the reason why mine grow like that. I have less than 3 watts DIY lighting on top. You mentioned you have over 100 watts, where do you grow yours? If they're too close to the front, the light might not be able to reach them.

ECO is not bad at all! My substrate even lighter than your ECO! Even a small Tetra can stir it up without problem!   :(

fischkopp

Quote from: jetstream on August 15, 2008, 01:35:18 PM
I think mine is Glossostigma elatinoides sp "Shy" from Germany!  :D

:P

That is exactly the look I am after. You are making me jealous ...
my fish suck

Agnate

I've read that's it's partly due to how it's placed.  I've read a couple people who kept trying and couldn't get it to grow properly, and then eventually they figured out how to get it growing.

How tall are both of your tanks, though?  I think shallower tanks might have a better chance of growing it closer to the substrate than taller tanks would.

I don't know much about it, though, just what I've read when I was interested in growing it.  :)

dan2x38

I had a mat in my 2.5 with 9w of light regular ferts with Excel and eco-complete. The Glosso kept growing vertical instead of horizontial. This is a very shallow tank. I know about the small tank wattage rule. I think it is really the placement in the tank.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."