Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pressurized CO2 System Leaking

Started by dan2x38, August 28, 2008, 11:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

If you've read my other thread I had a leak in my new pressurized CO2 rig. I am using a 3-way bubble counter to supply 2 tanks. I thought I might offer what I learned. After 3 days no leaks gauges holding pressure.

-1st I took the entire 3-way apart there are a lot of joints
-2nd on any rubber seals I used plumbers silicone paste, this prevents drying out, improves the seal and reduces the clearance so less chance of gas leaks
-3rd Instead of using Teflon tape which I had used I bought 2 thread compounds: 1) ($1.99) Harvey's stick thread compound- this stuff is a more permanate type of thread compound good to 2000 PSI & 1200f for flamable gases, water, gas and more but not O2. 2) ($3.49) Oatleys thread compound- it is a paste with Teflon in it that also lubricates the threads so can use on joints opened more often, it is good until 3000 PSI & 500f for flamable gases but not O2 also water, gas, and more.
-4th I added the stick compound on the block nipple that attaches to the solenoid, used on each elbow that connected on the bock on the 3-way side and on the bottom of each bubble counter connecting to the elbows
-5th used the paste compound on the top of each bubble counter and on the cap threads where the output airlines attach
-6th capped the 3rd outlet instead of just using the needle valve to shut off output; was not using this output

I researched both of the thread compounds online. They are safe for pipes carrying potable water. If you pressurize the system until and get CO2 output then unplug the solenoid the output should not stop at the same time it should slowly stop. If it does not this is a good sign of a leak.

In a spray bottle I mixed a 1:3 dish soap water solution. Then sprayed each joint and watched for any bubbles; nothing... :) Finally over the past three days have watched the gauges very closely & noticed no sudden drops or changes.

I am still crossing my fingers but sure hope it is up & running with no leaks. After all each 10lb. refill costs $23.

Hope this helps someone prevent a leak or fix one. For you new guys to pressurized CO2 (like me) watch those gauges closely. Even check the joints especially if using multi bubble counters or manifold.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

BigDaddy

Leak testing should always be the first step to hooking up a CO2 system.

Soapy water says it all "If you see bubbles, you've got troubles"

dan2x38

I tested with water but obviously was not good enough.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."