Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spot treating BBA with excel

Started by Jeff1192, September 30, 2008, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I've got some BBA that I want to get rid of. I've scraped off most of it and I spot treated with Excel for the first time yesterday. I only used the amount of excel that it said to for the size of my tank and stopped when I hit that amount. The BBA that I treated is now turning red but I am wondering how much is safe to use on my 90 gallon and how often would I use it?

Thanks,

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

sdivell

I overdosed my 21g for 10 days straight and then did a 50% water change.

The overdose I did was the recommended 1st time addition of excel.  Lost no fish and lost no plants.  BUT i did lose 100% of my BBA

Jeff1192

I'm injecting CO2 so I don't know if that could cause me problems with adding that much Excel. Do you inject CO2 in your tank? I only dosed yesterday with the dosing they say to use after the initial dose and I haven't dosed anything today. I already do 50% water changes every week so if dosing to that level is safe for the fish that would be great.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

sdivell

I was doing DIY Co2 at the time and the inconsistant levels of Co2 is what caused my BBA.  I stoped running the Co2 to do the excel dosing.

charlie

I double dosed for 1 week daily, with my co2 at full tilt with no adverse effects on the fish or plants, i don`t guarantee anything , but from all reports there have not been any problems running co2 & dosing excel.

HappyGuppy

I had really bad BBA.  I found instructions on the net on how to use hydrogen peroxide to treat BBA in tank and would go out on a limb to hail it as a miracle cure, IMHO & IMHE.  Google "hydrogen peroxide bba algae" and I'm sure in the first 5 results you'll get everything you're looking for about this.