New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to the forum

Started by Joey, September 26, 2008, 10:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

Hello:

Brand new to the forum and new to aquariums too. Wife would like to get an aquarium so I joined here to get some info and some ideas on what a good starter set would be. Look forward to discussing with other like minded folks!

RoxyDog

Hello Joey, welcome to our fishy world.  A good starter set is as big as you can afford.  :)  And it's likely no matter what you start with you'll want to upgrade soon enough as this hobby can be addictive!   :D  Research what kind of fish you'd like and see what size tank they fit in.  No point in falling in love african cichlids, or large marine fish only to find out the 20gal you bought isn't big enough!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Vizerdrix

Hey Joey, welcome!

You'll find tons of useful information here, and if you have a question don't hesitate to ask.  Most folks here are very knowledgeable and will be only too happy to help you out!

As RoxyDog said, get the biggest tank you can afford.  The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain.  And do LOTS of research!  Try not to impulse buy, that can be a killer (as I well know ::) ).

Joey

Appreciate the replys. I actually could afford a pretty large tank  ;D
But I was thinking more in the 15-20 gallon range. I think I like small fish  :).
I don't want to go wild on equipment in case it doesn't work out. I also have a big enough house that if we really enjoyed the hobby we could put a larger tank in the living room and still keep the small tank in the den.
Plus, I have to admit 50 gallons of water in my house makes me nervous LOL! I don't have a mop that big.

dan2x38

Hi Joey nice to meet you. You came to the right place to talk fish... and tanks. First beware as mentioned it is addictive first one, then another one, another one - well you get the picture... LOL

A 20g is a nice starter tank. Do lots of research and ask tons of questions. I was told years ago, "the only stupid question is the one not asked".

You can always buy an inexpensive set-up online here from the classifieds there are lots of great deals.

If interested here is but one of 1000's of websites: http://www.fishprofiles.net/faq/fish-popular.php#first I bet everyone can add several more. Have fun & cheers...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laura

Welcome to the forum.
There are quite a few choices for a 15-20 gallon tank (although I think you'll want bigger soon).
I would encourage you though to get a 33 gallon instead if you're comfortable with a slightly larger tank.  It's not a huge tank, but gives that much more buffer for your water quality, and is 36" long providing some more space for a bigger variety of fish.
For starting out, one of the first things you need to understand is the cycling process.  My favourite description is by luvfishies who used to spend time on this forum. Here's a link to her description (3rd post down) http://www.fishinthe.net/html/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10343&start=15&sid=6e8544ef08a47c6da7a7a9d6606ebfc9
There are a number of folks online who will also trade/give you some filter material to kick-start the cycling process and save you some time.
Look around at some of the fish you like the look of and feel free to check back in with us. We love to tell people what to do  ;)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

crazy 4 fish

Hi Joey. Welcome. I'm relatively new to the fishy world too but I can tell you the people on this site are totally awesome. They are always there to help. It's great when you sometimes have absolutely no clue what you are doing :) I agree with Laura about getting a bit bigger than a 20. My first (I just started my 2nd) is a used 32g Waterhome that I purchased off Kijiji. It came with a Fluval 404. My other tank (5g) was purchased off ovas. I have MTS in the making as I still have 4 more waiting to be started.

Cheryl

Joey

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. It is greatly appreciated. I will certainly contemplate a 33 gallon. Will be watching the Classifieds.

busdriver

One bit of advice, if you are going for a large tank, make sure it's level.
Believe me, you don't want to hear Niagra Falls at 1:00 am.
I know what it sounds like and it ain't to pretty to watch, neither.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."