Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Why do people put down the CO2 ladders?

Started by Tim, April 11, 2005, 03:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I have a 75 gallon with only one ladder and 2, 2 litre bottles and I have a consistent CO2 level of 16-20 PPM. I thought maybe I was testing wrong so I stopped it for a while and my levels diminished. I even noticed my plants started drooping. I use 2 cups of sugar and 2 teaspoons yeast in each bottle.

Nelson

Quote from: "Tim"I have a 75 gallon with only one ladder and 2, 2 litre bottles and I have a consistent CO2 level of 16-20 PPM. I thought maybe I was testing wrong so I stopped it for a while and my levels diminished. I even noticed my plants started drooping. I use 2 cups of sugar and 2 teaspoons yeast in each bottle.
I too had a DIY CO2 system as well as a commercial set-up.  I found they worked well but my only critisism was that it seemed an awful lot of CO2 was going to waste as the bubbles hit the surface.  Possibly it's unavoidable, but it seems to me that there must be a more efficient method of gas diffusing.

Tim

I am sure some c02 goes to waste but if I am getting the desired PPM what do I care? It is alot easier than building a difuser and bubble counter. I guess mine is "well used" now as when my bubble comes out it goes up the ladders so slowly that by the time it gets to the top it is less than 1/4 the size it started so quite a bit of the c02 is disolving into the water.

Nelson

Quote from: "Tim"I am sure some c02 goes to waste but if I am getting the desired PPM what do I care? It is alot easier than building a difuser and bubble counter. I guess mine is "well used" now as when my bubble comes out it goes up the ladders so slowly that by the time it gets to the top it is less than 1/4 the size it started so quite a bit of the c02 is disolving into the water.

I just started my pressure CO2 system and I'm using my old ladder and I'm seeing the bubbles pop at the surface without any significant reduction in the size.  Nowhere the 1/4 size you're experiencing.   I guess I shouldn't care either when it costs less than $15 to fill my 5lb tank and it lasts for many months.  BUT...if there's a better diffusion system out there I'll find it :)

Tim

My ladder as algea and junk on it which slows the bubbles do to a crawl. This is allowing more of the co2 to dissolve.

Roop

Quote from: "Tim"My ladder as algea and junk on it which slows the bubbles do to a crawl. This is allowing more of the co2 to dissolve.

if you had a 20lb bottle of co2 and an automated preasurized system with a reactor, you would spend minimal time maintaining the co2 and more time trimming plant growth.

no yeast lasts more than a month at high output levels. not that it's a bad method as it's the one i'm currently using but given the choice and a free $250 startup fee i'd go with a professional setup.

NjOyRiD

where can i get the co2 system again? (except the the co2 bottle)?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Nelson

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"where can i get the co2 system again? (except the the co2 bottle)?[/quote
EBay..around $75 US plus delivery

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

NjOyRiD

oh yeah i forget, i shjould look under what word?
370g System

Nelson

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"oh yeah i forget, i shjould look under what word?
Actually I checked after I replied and didn't see anything worthwhile right now...there were several a few weeks ago.  I ran a google search for -  CO2 guages aquarium - and several sites are listed that sell them.

NjOyRiD

370g System