Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

how often should I feed my pleco veggies

Started by new2ovas, October 15, 2008, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2ovas

I am fairly new to the site and aquariums.  I have a common pleco I have had for maybe a year now and I have seen him grow up to about 4 inches or so.  I have been reading recently that we should be feeding them fresh veggies, I was wondering how often we should be doing this.  I have only been feeding him flake food once a day but am now starting to wonder if I should be feeding him differently and how frequently.

tks for the advice,

cheers

dan2x38

Every now and then I put in some veggies I use a veggie clip. Some plecos like/need wood in their diet - yes wood fibre. Do you have any driftwood in there? Most any pleco will grind away at wood it is good for them all.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

new2ovas

I do have a piece of drift wood in there - from the ocean (saltwater). it has been boiled and boilded again.  the pleco loves it but it also has a lot of cloudy sludge that grows from it and sticks to everything else in the tank and the best part is that it has a lot of crap floating in it.  any suggestions how to keep the wood but get rid of this cloudy I don't know what?

dan2x38

I would not use driftwood from the ocean. To much is absorbed and stored in it. I think it would affect the pH especially in a small tank. The pH might raise higher then plecos like. Plecos are a South American fish. Who knows what is leaching out of the wood. Maybe others have an opinion but this is mine.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

LittleAngel104

I've been feeding my Plecos just about everything!  They are not picky!!!  Algea wafers,   shrimp pellets,  bloodworms,  tubifex worms,  flakes,  etc...

I also treat them to blanched veggies (veggies which I have put in boiling water for about 1 to 2 minutes) once in a while.  They LOVE the zucchini and the eggplant.  They also munch on cauliflower and brocoli,  but you have to remove wathever is not eaten since it will stink-up your tank.  Try a couple of things and see what you pleco prefers!