Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sand substrates

Started by Soeman, October 19, 2008, 11:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soeman

i'm looking to setup some new tanks (woohoo for great finds while urban mining!) and was considering a sand substrate for an apisto breeding tank. What kinds of sands are suitable? I asked at my LFS and they said they dont sell sand substrates anymore because clients found it hard to clean (if you caught one of my other threads, you might realize I hold little attention to the advice given at my LFS).
If I boil 'playground' or 'all purpose' sand bought at a hardware store would that be suitable?

Adam

You can use pretty much any type of sand.  Just rinse it with water many times (until it's clearish).  Go with one you like the look of.  Smaller grain size can be sucked up pretty easily, but if you pinch the hose while vacuuming, you should be ok.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Laura

I've got the largest grade silica sand/pool filter sand from http://www.merkleysupply.com/
It was dead cheap and works great.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

fischkopp

If you are setting up an apisto tank make sure you take silica based sand as you dont want the substate to change the water hardness. Also make sure that the sand is fine and has no sharp edges: apisto love to 'dig' around when looking for food or preparing a breeding site.

I found that white deco-sand from the home depot work fine. Another good solution is black tahitian moon sand.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Montrealguy

Apistos are Geophagine cichlids - eartheaters. Sand is the best possible substrate for them. I use playground sand, well rinsed but not boiled.