Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

deep sand beds?

Started by SuperT, October 30, 2008, 06:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperT

Been awhile since i've been on.  Going to be selling off all my marine equipment and most of my fresh but want one large tank for the discus i'll be keeping.  was wondering if anyone here is using a dsb in a freshwater environment?  Mine works like a dream in all my marine tanks was thinking it should offer the same benefits (in freshwater).  since i'm having a problem locating pages on freshwater dsbs any one have any interesting links they can point me to so i can do some more reading (or any current experiences they would like to relay).

Thanks muchly,

Terry

kennyman

I think it should be heavily planted to keep it alive. There are not the same amount of benthic micro/meio fauna as seen in a marine environment. And once you plant it up like that benefits of a dsb are lost. Plants are the LR of the FW world.

SuperT

the problem there is my discus tank is nice and hot (so not alot of plants can survive in an environment like that).  i have frogbit and a few other weeds that do well and take over the tank (that have to be trimmed back monthly).  I was curious as to the health benefits of one (dsb) in a freshwater (how well they work etc, can they work in conjunction with plants etc).  Also the amount of upkeep required (water changes/ how often).  I'm sure they have been used but before i put together a brand new tank i want to have a good look at the possibilities and have a really well laid out plan.  reading/and getting opinions i find are always a good start.

Terry

kennyman

I have 3" of soil and fluorite so its not really deep. Sort of in between. Your wanting to keep the nitrates down with this right?

SuperT

yes, mostly to get the residual that the plants don't remove.  I positive i'm going with a sump type setup (just like marine) and giving them more water volume and better filtration (since the discus will be around for a fairly long time). 

I guess the idea here is if i can give them a dsb and offer better water over a longer period why not plan it in before setting up.

Terry