Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

50G Full yet? Guess I am out of options now.

Started by tim_s, October 21, 2008, 07:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim_s

Hi Everyone,

So ... I have a 50G tank with the following stock.

4 x Convict (1 Male, 3 Females)
6 x Tiger Barbs
1 x Bushy Pleco

I am assuming this tank is pretty full ...

I was thinking maybe a YoYo Loach (or 2) and maybe another Bushy Pleco.

Add some more hiding spots even add some slate vertically to create boundries.

dan2x38

YoYos at least 3 more are even better... loaches like the company of one another to be happiest.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

Actually since you have some pretty aggressive and feisty fish, if you want to absolutely go with loaches I would consider the skunk loach.  Five of these bad boys would be nice and they can more then hold their own.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/yasuhikotakia-morleti

NjOyRiD

agreed wityh skunk loaches

I,m curious, how are tiger barbs with convicts?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

tim_s

Quote from: NjOyRiD on October 24, 2008, 09:16:41 PM
I,m curious, how are tiger barbs with convicts?

The Tiger Barbs actually don't see much attention from the Convict Cichlids. (too busy chasing each other)

Infact the only interaction between different species has been between the Pleco and Convicts.

The Convicts seem very puzzled by the Plecos lack in motion they will very slowly creep up to the Pleco and give a soft nip to only get spooked that the Pleco starts to move.

tim_s

It doesn't have to be a loach I am just trying to find options. I asked this question before and the recommendation at the time was "Black Skirt Tetra" and that day to my surprise they where right there.

The guy asked what fish where they going in with and heard "Convicts" and said this was a very bad idea so I backed out.

Steve_2

I think that since you're convicts have already established their territories, it would be better to either add fish that don't establish territories, or that are more aggressive than the convicts. Considering you've got tiger barbs in there, I'd say go for the first option. Some fast moving fish too be to be eaten(like your barbs) would be ideal. Other kinds of barbs(gold barbs are one of my favourites), tetras like the black skirt(sure, it sounds like a bad idea, but they are very quick!) or some larger rainbows would work well too.

You've now got my 2 cents! :P

Steve