Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae and driftwood

Started by Jeff1192, November 02, 2008, 09:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I've been running pressurized CO2 and EI dosing for about 2 months now. My algae issues are getting better but I'm still having problems with BBA and hair algae....but only on my 2 pieces of driftwood. I have one small piece that gets some BBA on it but not much and I can easily scrape it off. But the big piece (and it's big....see my gallery) gets lots of it, especially where my spraybar hits it. I'm thinking about changing things up a bit in the tank and taking out the large piece and replacing it with another small one. Will this resolve the algae problem....or just move it somewhere else?

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

jetstream

Algae won't just disappear by itself and you need to remove it by mechanical means. Green water algae will died down (disappeared) after you corrected the problem. So, you need to clean it out first and see it still come back! Just my $0.02. Good luck! :)

Jeff1192

I realize that I need to mechanically remove it, that's what I've been doing. But it only come back on the driftwood. That's why I'm wondering if since I can't completely remove it from the driftwood (because of cracks and crevasses) that by removing the driftwood completely from the tank should that solve the algae problem. Like I said I've tweaked things with lights and ferts and the driftwood is pretty much the only spot that I keep getting algae.

Thanks,

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

fischkopp

If you have a chance take the pieces out of the tank to give them a more harsch treatment. I have been using H2O2 inside the tank, but while it works for a while BBA eventually always came back. Outside the tank you can brush lots off and then "soak" it in H2O2 for a while: means pour some on and let it fizzle until it stop, then do it again and again :). I had good permanent success with a bleach solution but still prefer the safer H2O2.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

I couldn't find the link again but I read a bit about the cursed BBA. It is contagious from the spores. You can pass it from tank by just one spore. It returns or takes hold on slow growing plants like anbuas I guess you could say driftwood is slow growing (LOL) so it will keep coming back until you kill it for good. I still fight a little BBA on slow plants & poor flow areas even thick growth sometimes. I think we will always have a little algae?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Yeah that's what I had heard and read as well. That's why I'm thinking of taking out the really big piece now and replacing it with a smaller more branch-like piece. Besides if I take that huge chunk out I'll have more room for PLANTS!

- George Orwell

dan2x38

I can't remmeber the article but I think that BBA spores out of water just dry out but are still active once added back into water... the spores have to be rinsed away once and for all... I hate the stuff!!!  >:( I have almost lost my Crinum calamistratum & Crinum natan to it... they had BBA from before but it has not died off of course I've trimmed away the leafs but not much left of either...  :(
Voltaire:

Jeff1192

There's none on my plants....it's only on both pieces of driftwood. And the large piece has so many nooks and crannies that it's impossible to get off....that's why I'm thinking of switching it. The problem is I really like that piece so I'll need to find a really cool small piece to replace it.

Jeff

- George Orwell

dan2x38

yeah I'd not use bleach on driftwood it would soak it up I'd think... H2O2 would work but would need a lot for that pieces... how about baking it at over 160 that usually kills most stuff just leave it in for some time...?
Voltaire:

kennyman

What do you have in the tank that grazes algae?

Jeff1192

Quite a bit actually; amano shrimp (4-6), cherry shrimp (tons), tiger shrimp (about 12), nerite snails (4), otos (4-6), farlowella (2).

I know some of them aren't great algae eaters but I figured I'd include them as well.

Jeff

- George Orwell

kennyman

Sounds pretty well rounded but, might you be able to squeeze Big sailfin molly or something to get the slightly larger stuff which gets past the snails and Otto's? I know nothing really eats bba but when it is small enough the grazers seem to get it.

It sounds like you almost got it under control. That's why I was thinking you might be able to shift things even more in your favor with one more herbivore.