Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Classifieds Feedback/Etiquette

Started by dan2x38, November 06, 2008, 09:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

As a seller or buyer have you read the classifieds sticky or guidelines?

What is your pet peeve when using the classifieds? Mine is when someone doesn't show up or the haggle over an agreed upon price.

Yes this topic has been raised before. That doesn't mean it is never a bad idea to review a topic.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Tsukiyomi-sakura

I have looked at both sticky and guide lines....My pet peeve is when they don't show up, Never had a problem with haggling so far.

KLKelly

I bought a used tank once when I was new and it leaked.  Honestly I've heard of bad experiences so I won't buy used.  And if I do post I would think about posting on Used Ottawa first.  I have a ton of extra stuff and tanks that I have taken down.  If I could avoid a bad experience it would make me more apt to post on the classifieds and make those people that seem to have a reputation (but no one will name on ovas for the sake of keeping it a happy community and they are ovas participants with no way to vet the info offered - which I'm in complete agreeance with by the way.  I want a happy community one with no drama.) to behave.

I suggest maybe starting something outside of ovas - a yahoo group unaffiliated with "ovas" where power users or those that are aware of issues can go to post and read feedback.  Membership required and moderated to prevent obvious flaming.

I would be intimidated if some of these things happened to me.  I think it should be addressed in some way when someone doesn't play by the rules let alone rules of common courtesy.

Until then I'll just stay away or only buy from someone I trust well.

dan2x38

Interesting suggestion KLKelly. How could it work though? Anyone have any suggestions on that approach?
Voltaire:

kennyman

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 08, 2008, 03:21:09 PM
Interesting suggestion KLKelly. How could it work though? Anyone have any suggestions on that approach?

So . . . .these two guys walk into a room . . .

And there is a tank full of fish for sale. They each buy five fish. The first guy goes home and acclimates his fish with due diligence and lives happily ever after. The second guy goes to the grocery store and buys some icecream. He throws it in the bag with his five fish and stops at a buddies house for a few pints. Five hours later he arrives home to a mad wife because the Icecream she is waiting for melted. The guy rinses his fishbag off in the sink under warm water and then dumps the fish into the tank.

The next day guy 2 calls the seller and complains that his fish are dead. He wants a refund. The seller offers to give him a deal on some new fish but no refund. He comes here had makes a thread about the bad seller and gives him a zero on the ratings along with a few flaming threads that get locked.

Who wants to moderate that crap?

Adam

IMO I think it is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to ensure what they are getting is what they want.  Ask questions, get contact information, ask for pictures, ask for a demonstration of the product...

OVAS provides a venue for individuals to post sales and for people to contact someone with something they want, but I don't think OVAS should be like ebay, providing feedback and regulating people.  It's a fish club website, not a commerce centre.  It's a nice addition, but buyer and seller beware.  If I don't like something, I don't buy it.  If I'm selling something and the buyer doesn't like it, they walk away.  They don't show up? Ok, but I don't bag things beforehand.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

dan2x38

Guy 1 posts in seller's thread, "PM sent" the PM says I'll come by they agree on a price. Guy 2 posts, "PM sent" seller replies your next on the list it's sold. Guy 1 says I work all day tomorrow I can't make it but promise to be there next day please hold it. The seller agrees. Guy 2 looks else where and finds somthing. Guy 1 does not show up, does not call no else in the thread replies because there are already 2 "PM sent" posts seller missed the sale. OR Guy 1 shows up with 1/2 what the agreed price was the seller knows the window for the sale is closing so he is painted into the corner by the sneaky buyer. Especially if it is a plant and bagged already.

Yes it is tricky call... No OVAS is not responsible... But how can these crafty buyer/sellers be outed or those types of things reduced... has nothing to do with pictures, facts, etc... it is the sneaky side that is at question.
Voltaire:

Nerine

I will not hold things for people anymore unless I know them. I've been burned a few times on that!!

My worst experience was guy came to the house to pick up a 15 gallon...I didn't let him in, he looked shifty so I met him outside with the tank, he walks up, grabs the tank and leaves...and I just stood on the porch, gaping mouth and pointing at him, I couldn't believe he didn't pay and he wouldn't stop, and I didn't make much effort to stop him, was quite shocked!

I think for feedback if it's especially horrible then post something, but otherwise, just leave it? Sure it'd be nice and all to have a feedback system, but how many would actually use it and how many would abuse it?  I tend not to give feedback unless I'm very very impressed or severely displeased otherwise, I can't be bothered half the time!

lots of talking between buyer and seller should go on. and Cash only, upfront, make sure product works, no cracks in tank etc and then everyone should be happy. and when you walk out of that door, anything that happens after is your problem and not the sellers
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

KLKelly

No worries.  I'll just stay away.  If someone came to my house with 1/2 the money I wouldn't be aggressive enough to tell the person to go take a hike.  So I'll only deal with people I trust.   How the heck would a newbie know who to trust?

I'll just stick with what I'm doing now.  I know there are specific people that are the problems and those that are part of an ovas group that buy and sell a lot know these people.

In my message to ovas executives it is due to behaviours like this and recent negative threads I no longer recommend OVAS to people I meet that have tanks.  Until OVAS forum changes to be the forum I once loved participating on I wouldn't feel honest.  I used to tell everyone I met about OVAS and this site with excitement.  I don't want to feel responsible.  A year ago I wouldn't have hesitated.

I promised OVAS  that I will not be part of perpetuating the problem of negativity and will only try and find solutions and be a positive contributing member.  So I'm out of this thread.

PS. My first used tank I was very new to fish keeping. There wasn't an obvious crack, the leak was in the seal (which I've learned a lot about since the tank resealing workshop).  This person would have had to have known the tank leaked.  Money doesn't grow on trees in my house and I have to sacrifice.  I would love to buy used but I don't have confidence in OVAS to do so.  Not worth it after hearing about a number of common problems.  If enough people maybe complain directly to ovas executives they can deal with problem people.  OVAS is suffering for it.

Peace  ;)

dan2x38

KLKelly thank you for your honesty. I do hope your faith in OVAS & this forum are being restored. I am very happy to see you back and posting once more! I've always enjoyed and look forward to your posts there insightful and honest. When members like you stay and support the club it helps to keep the foundation in place. Every member brings their own flare and experience to this forum. When I joined I remember you being here and welcoming me it was appreciated - so I welcome you back and sure hope you are here to stay?

There are always going to be a few bad apples spoil the barrel. But why let those minority ruin it for the majority. Reserecting this discussion is just why I did it. Maybe the increase in some bad dealings is a result of not knowing the protocol or not having it pointed out to them clearly.

OVAS is a great club and yes there will be hic-up along the way that is life but survival depends on solid members. I have never been a member without some controversy ;) but I do support OVAS and try to be positive. I've made mistakes and stuck my foot in my mouth but admitted it openly. Discussing touchy subjects should not be consider a bad thing. Discussing controversial topics is important it is only when it is counter productive it services no purpose i.e. flaming another person, a vendor, etc.
Voltaire: