New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

April meeting feature subject

Started by charlie, March 24, 2009, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Our next meeting on April 27th will feature a talk by our resident  "fish ecologist/fish physiologist" Chris Pullen known as aquaviewer on the forums (full bio to follow), Chris will be delivering a presentation titled "Getting to know your aquatic neighbours:  The native fish of the national capital region".
A little preview on the subject:
QuoteThis is intended to be an introduction to the native fish common to the streams and lakes of the national capital region and surrounding areas.  It will highlight the habitat requirements and life history traits of selected species as well as detail opportunities for observing these fascinating fish first hand in the field.  The discussion will touch on the challenges, both technological and regulatory, of keeping native fish in Ontario.
See you all on April 27th .

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 24, 2009, 07:44:29 AM
Our next meeting on April 27th will feature a talk by our resident  "fish ecologist/fish physiologist" Chris Pullen known as aquaviewer on the forums (full bio to follow), Chris will be delivering a presentation titled "Getting to know your aquatic neighbours:  The native fish of the national capital region".
A little preview on the subject:See you all on April 27th .
Bio added
Chris Pullen has been engrossed with fish since an early age when he first began chasing rock bass under the dock at the family cottage.  Since then his fish journey has taken him from fish hunter with pail and dip net to avid angler and finally to fish habitat ecologist.

Chris graduated with a B.Sc. which focused on fish ecology and after working as a wilderness river guide, he made the switch to environmental consulting, starting with a firm in the Northwest Territories as a fish habitat ecologist.  His project work involved habitat and species assessment in the Northwest Territories and Ontario and after relocating to Ottawa his work took on a specific focus in the Ottawa valley.  Chris has worked with many species from lake sturgeon to lake chubb and he has become well versed in the species of the Ottawa Area.

Always looking to expand his knowledge base Chris is currently completing a Masters degree with the Fish Ecology and Conservation physiology Lab at Carleton University under the direction of Professor Steven Cooke.  His research focus is the behavioural and physiological consequences of lure retention in predatory fish with research sites in Ontario and the Bahamas.

Chris came to aquarium keeping late as an offshoot of his research interests but can now be confidently called addicted; focusing mainly on planted aquaria and Cichlids but pretty much anything goes.
See you all on the 27th

Nerine

I've missed the past 2 meetings due to being sick (holy smoke have I been sick THAT long!?) and I'm STILL sick...but hopefully by the time the 27th rolls around I'll be well and there!!!  This looks like it will be a very interesting meeting!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

irene

Wow, that does seem like a very interesting talk.  I am going to try to make this one! :)

wandmangels

planning to go...anyone from bayshore britannia area need a ride? 4 open seatbelts

cichlidicted

Hey ..
There seems a link between your meetings and my final exams for some reason. I missed two auctions cause the dates were conflicting .. now my LAST final is on the 27th.... but what time is the meeting ?

charlie

Quote from: cichlidicted on April 23, 2009, 05:29:21 AM
Hey ..
There seems a link between your meetings and my final exams for some reason. I missed two auctions cause the dates were conflicting .. now my LAST final is on the 27th.... but what time is the meeting ?
http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=2

limmer

Great talk.
Can someone post the links he had for local fish.
I forgot to write them down.

charlie

Quote from: limmer on April 28, 2009, 08:45:48 AM
Great talk.
Can someone post the links he had for local fish.
I forgot to write them down.
Yes it was , great introduction to our local native fish habitat & judging from the interaction , quite a few related well with it, Thanks Chris AKA Aquaviewer on this site.
limmer , i will ask Chris to address that.

bitterman

It was a lot of fun, made me think about turning my 195 basement tank into a cold water tank, but the law and transporting of native species would get you in trouble quickly if caught. Not worth the risk for me!

Bruce

Anja

I don't think I managed to write down all of them. What I have is:

Ontario Freshwater Fishes Database:
http://fishdb.ca/

The Ontario chapter of the afs:
http://www.afs-oc.org/home.htm

The Ontario Baitfish Primer (.pdf):
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/central/pub/baitfish-appat-on/pdf/baitfish-poissons-appats-on_e.pdf

http://www.briancoad.com/ doesn't load for me.

And yeah, excellent speaker!  :)
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

RoxyDog

I didn't know anything about local fish, so it was really interesting for me.  :)

And thanks to the auctioneers who helped out when mr president didn't feel so well!
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Aquaviewer

Thanks again for comming out,

Here are the links out of the presentation,  I`ve also added the NANFA link that was discussed at the end of the talk

Fish of the National Capital Region www.briancoad.com/
Fishbase www.fishbase.org,
Ontario Freshwater Fish History  Database www.fishdb.ca
Ontario Baitfish Primer http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/central/pub/baitfish-appat-on/index-eng.htm
American Fisheries Society – Ontario Chapter www.afs-oc.org/home.htm
North American Native Fish Association http://www.nanfa.org/
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

washefuzzy

Thanks Chris I really enjoyed your talk. I found it very interesting learning about the fish in our area.

mseguin

Thanks for the greaqt talk Chris, sorry I couldn't stick around longer at the end. Many of those fish were very familiar from smapling done as part of a University course, and someday I will definitely have a tank of bluegill, they're spectacular fish.

Nerine

Think I'm gonna go poking about to look for these fish :) of course not take any....no way does my house stay cold enough for them haha but it'd be neat to see and take some photos!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts