New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Photo Contest

Started by dan2x38, December 14, 2008, 09:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

I love the photo contest but... It is no fun entering then always seeing the same ppl winning. What do others think about if you win there should be awaiting period were they can't win again so others are willing to enter. Some might be saying why should I put my little old Guppy or low tech tank in there it'll never win... I must admit it is so nice seeing all the new competitors! That is what gave me the idea to post. Any other opinions?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Mettle

On other sites I'm on if you win a photo contest you usually have to wait either 1 or 3 months before you can enter/win again. It makes sense to me.

washefuzzy

new2H2O

Have to admit that I have never entered because, well, what's the point...love taking pics but they are never sensational enough to win...that being said, I love seeing the really great picks up so perhaps a compromise...everyone can submit a picture but past winners are not eligeable to win again until X amount of months have passed.

my 2 cents

dan2x38

Quote from: washefuzzy on December 15, 2008, 02:37:49 AM
Poor losers.  :D ;)
How so? Trying to encourgae new posters rookie photogs.  :)  I've never won in years and always enter.  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kennyman

Categories would help with this, But you guys need more interest to fill up the two or three areas that would be needed to start with.

Like: Freshwater Portrait / Saltwater Portrait / Aquascape

beowulf

If anything this should make people try for better shots etc.  It's not like there is a prize or anything.

Severum

Great ideas! Maybe I will have a chance to win this time. Even though my photo was taken with a camera phone at 4 am. :P
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Nerine

Aren't the photo contest pictures used on the  calendar??

A contest is for the best in my opinion...and if I dont have any photos that fit the bill, I won't enter!! I also personally vote for those who have good quality photos - clear, good colour, etc.

my two cents! :D

People should be inspired to enter fantastic photos because of what the other photographers are putting out! Maybe yours won't have the subject matter (sw fish) but you have the ability to create a fantastic photo, clean off the glass, move your tubing out of the way so we don't have weird distractions in the back.  Or maybe use the hair dryer effect to give some neat contrasts! there's so much one can do, even with a point and shoot camera :)

Good luck and looking forward to seeing BETTER photos and more!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

groupie02

the club isn't making a calendar this year due to the very poor response we got last year.