Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sponge Question for Intake Pipe

Started by gauthier613, December 22, 2008, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier613

Does anyone run a sponge on their downpipe intake?  If so what should I buy for an AGA Megalow system?

What about my Protein Skimmer out pipe?  I'm just thinking this will reduce a bit of noise. (not that it's very loud or anything)

xiaan

No one really runs a sponge there it will just collect stuff.  If you want to clean it every day you can place it there. Instead some people have a filter sock attached to there drains in the sump to collect fine partials but you still have to clean them every few days.

gauthier613

Ok I have the filter sock in the sump so I should be ok then... Was just an idea at work. (instead of actually working)

kennyman

I find that adjustable meggaflow standpipe (thats a marineland brand durso right?) is super quiet. It is the output into the sump that makes noise on my system. Do you have anything down there to help the outflow enter the sump quietly?

gauthier613

It's super quiet I just thought the sponge would make it even better.  I have nothing on the outpipe of skimmer and the downpipe has a filter sock it's quiet. Not sure what to put on the skimmer outpipe.

Funkmotor

I also run a filter sock in my sump.  For the drain inlet, I have glued some gutter-guard across it to keep fish from going in there...last place I want them to be is getting bashed about in a filter sock.

I have to go over the gutter-guard every few days to keep it clear of debris, but I find it works very well and limits the flow very little, if at all.