Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What to do with my new 25 Gallon SW.

Started by Fishhead89, December 10, 2008, 07:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishhead89

Hey Everyone,

I had an extra 25 gallon tank, light, skimmer, live sand - all just taking up space in my garage. So I decided to pick up some Live Rock, and get a second SW tank going.

With my main SW setup,  I have a 75 gallon reef, with about 100pds liverock, 6 line wrasse, pair of clowns, bangaii cardinal, Yasha goby, green manadarin goby, a solid CUC, corals - torch, bubble, various zoas, monti cap, monti digi (2 colours), birdsnest... 

Right now the 25 is cycled, sitting with about 35-40 pds of liverock in it (Including one big 25pds piece, and another 7pd peice that i'm going to put in my big tank).  I'm tossing on what to do with this tank Was thinking frag tank, maybe seahorses or dwarf pipefish, or maybe trying to breed something.

I currently have a coralife lunarlight (a decent enough PC hood)- but was thinking of upgrading to a coralife MH clip on tank pendant.

Thoughts?

barabe

I'll be watching this closely since I am in a similar situation... :)

Adam

You have the reef already, why not try something different with seahorses and macros.  Very stunning if done nicely.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Fishhead89

So I'm looking at seahorses. Right now, there are a few in the city - all going for about $50.

Am letting my tank cycle for the moment. I'm hitting the brown algae stage. Going to do a few more water tests, then put a CUC in.

Looking at 2 seahorses, some plant life, CUC and some softies. Should be nice.

Fishhead89

I bought a new actinic bulb for my Power Compact light, replaced it, got it working, then a week later the bulb  went again. Tried the other light plug, and it went too. Instead of spending much more $$ on new bulbs, i decided to look for a new light.

Picked up a 175W MH light, with a relatively new bulb on it, and built a wooden box to mount it over the tank. I intended on leaving two sides open for cooling, but the way our room is layed out (the office) one of our desks would have had a bright MH pointed at it all day. Not ideal. So I opted to box in three sides, am going to vent the hood in a few areas with some holes, and also mount a few PC cooling fans to circulate the heat away from the water.

Bought the light used off of TylerL, he was nice enough to throw in some caulerpa. Last night i set up the live rock, and added a few coral frags to the tank. Levels are all good, and the tank has been set up for 1.5months. Photos coming soon.

Do you think I need to add some damsels, or something to cycle the tank prior to seahorses? The last thing I want to do is add seahorses, then have the tank crash. 

I know I can add damsels or clowns. I have a pair of clowns in my 75, but I don't want to shuffle them around, as they just started hosting my torch coral. I could get something that would be hearty enough to cycle the tank, and then cohabitate with the fish in my 75. In that tank I have bangaii cardinal, pajama cardinal, 6 line wrasse, pair of o. clowns, gobies.

was thinking of a pair of black clowns. what about chromis?

Thoughts?