Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

placing my live rock

Started by Kenny P, January 04, 2009, 02:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny P

I'm a new Ovas member and new to salt water so I might put out some weird questions, so here goes...
What is my strategy when placing my live rock in my tank?
is it
exposed surface area? flat spots?, hidding areas? circulation? is it allowed to touch the glass? do some people put it tight to the back wall?

any help would be great
This is it now, the rocks are in the middle now ,but I am having flow problems
I have 3 pumps

[attachment deleted by admin]
I Rock..so please be nice!!

65G saltwater
15G "No Tech" cold water planted
2g Beta bowl
18x18x18 cube 3 Dendrobate Auratus
18x18x22 cube 2 Dendrobate Leucomela

matt

Your best to keep the rocks a little away from the back wall so water can circulate there. Your rock seem to be well placed for circulation.

You shouldn't worry too much if your rocks touch the glass at certain places. I have my live rock leaning on the glass and don't have any problems.

What sizes are the koralias that you have in your tank?

You might find that placing the power heads a little lower in the aquarium and pointing them up creates a better flow.

kennyman

I see a powerhead right down the back of the rock there. That will help keep detritus from settling there. Looks pretty good. Keep after all of those things you mentioned  :D

Kenny P

I guess its trial and error, maybe I'll try to get some up flow also as mentioned

your input is great

65G saltwater
2g Beta bowl

groupie02

you say that you have 3 pumps. Exactly what types and models?  If they are too small, you may not have enough flow.

Kenny P

I have two Koralia 1's rated at 400 GPH to get the water out of the corners
and a penguin 1140 rated at 300 GPH to break the surface and blw on the live rock center

But I'm getting some bad looking mold fuzz on the front bottom middle rock

thanks in advance

65G saltwater
2g Beta bowl

kennyman

Quote from: Kenny P on January 04, 2009, 05:15:12 PM
I have two Koralia 1's rated at 400 GPH to get the water out of the corners
and a penguin 1140 rated at 300 GPH to break the surface and blw on the live rock center

But I'm getting some bad looking mold fuzz on the front bottom middle rock

thanks in advance
The state your rock is in now is like a garden just dug over. It is freshly cured rock. In time it will be covered with life that comes in stages. I just read an article by C. Delbek comparing this to the secession of terrestrial ecosystems. Those are something most of us are more familiar with. This process should be measrued in months and years. Not days. Do not worry too much about a little bit of this or that starting to grow. Just keep the nutrients low and wait a while between each addition you make to the tank.

Kenny P

Thank you for the reassurance,
I love to just sit and watch the tank...but it is so easy to overthink and tinker with, my hands always end up getting wet.

65G saltwater
2g Beta bowl

FishPassion

Ken that may be a sponge of sorts as well that you are seeing when I removed the rock from my tank some was at the very bottom in the sand and some from the middle and top, its been in that tank for a year or so and came from another hobbiests tank prior to mine. I doubt that its curing.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube