Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID tiny hitchhikers

Started by stardrop, December 18, 2008, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stardrop

Got some tiny hitchhikers in some Zoa I bought.  They're tiny hermit crabs that measure in at about 1/4".  Cute but what are they?

tskinner

stardrop

Thanks tskinner, I located them on the web about the same time as you posted.  Thanks for confirming it! :)

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Id get rid of them, They will hijack your snails and other hermits for no reason.

gvv

Quote from: Tsukiyomi-sakura on December 18, 2008, 01:29:22 AM
Id get rid of them, They will hijack your snails and other hermits for no reason.
According to Calfo & Fenner, with provisioning of extra shells in the tank, attacks could be prevented. You know, they grow and need bigger houses :)

FishPassion

Blue legs have long been considered part of the basic cleanup crew and various size empty shells should always be left in your tank to accomodate their needs to grow as GVV stated. Alltho blue legs are known to be more aggresive than scarlets both "need" somewhere to move into as they grow...

80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

Fishhead89

where did you get your zoas? I just bought a big colony, and they came with a few hitchhikers - a giant bristleworm (i think 3 cms long), and an unidentified black slimy looking eeely thing.

Julie

The slimey thing is likely a beneficial stometalla, please post pic.
The bristle is good too, just don't touch it.

KLKelly

Yah make sure your blue leg has a ton of shells to chose from and keep an eye on snails that have fallen over or they will quickly become food for the blue leg.

Do you have other hermits in your tank?

charlie

Quote from: Fishhead89 on December 18, 2008, 07:38:23 AM
where did you get your zoas? I just bought a big colony, and they came with a few hitchhikers - a giant bristleworm (i think 3 cms long), and an unidentified black slimy looking eeely thing.
Does it really matter where the poster bought their Zoas, my understanding is that hitchhikers can come in on any livestock & rocks you buy ,regardless of where you buy it.

stardrop

Quote from: KLKelly on December 18, 2008, 07:50:12 AM

Do you have other hermits in your tank?

Yeah, I"m building up my CUC.  So far I have 8 scarlet hermits, a peppermint shrimp, Nehrite snail, turbo snail and 5 cerith snails (I plan on getting more cerith and scarlets).

Have a Zoa in there and two small mushroom bunches.

Thinking about adding a watchman goby.  Other than those, I"m at a loss as to what fish I want to add. 

KLKelly

I'd donate the blue leg to another persons tank then.  I have only scarletts and they get along great and leave the snails alone.  The blue legs are mean carnivorous gluttonous bullies.  Some people like them.  The scarletts are just so mellow.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Quote from: KLKelly on December 18, 2008, 10:14:33 AM
I'd donate the blue leg to another persons tank then.  I have only scarletts and they get along great and leave the snails alone.  The blue legs are mean carnivorous gluttonous bullies.  Some people like them.  The scarletts are just so mellow.

Scarlets also look nicer, Not a lot of tank critters are bright red so when they crawl over coral you can really see them.

groupie02

I have blue legs and I like them. I also keep tons of empty shells in my tanks. It's pretty cool when you catch one switching shell.

ealeen

Quote from: groupie02 on December 18, 2008, 05:01:05 PM
I have blue legs and I like them. I also keep tons of empty shells in my tanks. It's pretty cool when you catch one switching shell.

I like my blue legs too! I have lots of shells in my sand bed so maybe that's why I've never had a problem but they've always left my snails alone.  They might be one of my favourite things to watch in my aquarium.  IMO, I'd welcome any blue legged hitch hikers