Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Demasoni Holding, But from who???

Started by Aquafreak2, December 18, 2008, 02:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquafreak2

I have a lone female demasoni in a tank with Labs, Pseudo Elongatus, 1 Kenyi ( Don't know the sex but I thinking it's a male), and 1 A.Beanschi Male.  Last night I was feeding and noticed she wasn't eating and her throat is kind of swollen, well low and behold she's holding.  I have never seen her mate with anything else but her own kind in the past.  I used to have a large group of Demasoni but lost quite a few to bloat (luckily for me she decided to mess around with the last male demasoni remaining before he passed on and I have 18 little ones in a growout tank).

So the question remains who did the deed!!  I thinking the Elongatus might have been getting busy and she stepped in???

Comments>>>>>

Demasonian

My money would definitely be on the Elongatus, but it could be the Kenyi as well, since a female demasoni resembles a female Kenyi...

Are you sure your other 18 fry are Demasoni? :)

Aquafreak2

Absolutely 100% Demasoni fry.  Saw the whole courtship and spinning and shaking routine.  It's really quite a show they put on.

Thinking of transferring her to a hospital tank and see what she spits out.  Could be a interesting combination. 

robt18

I've seen Labs and elongatus and kenyi cross breed... so it's really a toss up between all of them

Watch to see if any males are picking on her/defending her more than normal.

Aquafreak2

So I stripped the female of her fry last week and they look Demasonish/Elongatus they actually already have strippes.   Here's were the story gets good.  I put her back in her tank and the next week the little b#$%^ was messing around again with the Male dominant Elongatus.   Now I am definately not into cross breeding but how do you stop nature from taking it's course.  I have got to think this must happen often in the wild as well.  Anyhow can't wait to see what the fry will look like.

Thanks

limmer

I would leave her in the tank.  The babies will get eaten.