Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

need your help stocking a 125g

Started by sofront, March 03, 2009, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sofront

Hi,

As the subject says, I need your help stocking my 125g (6'X 18" X 18"). The problem is, it's presently housing a 13" male Front that I would prefer to leave there and am looking for tankmates OTHER than fronts. Considering his size I'm looking for large cichlids. I've heard of people keeping peacoks with their Fronts but opinions there tend to diverge, I know lot's of people keep Moorii but would like to try something else. I'm basically looking to add colour by adding large peaceful cichlids. I'm also willing to mix Tang with Malawi, even though I know this is not appreciated by the purist.

For now, I've identified:
- Aulonocara Koningsi "Mbenji"
- Placidochromis Phenochilus

...but am looking for more colours.

I've also been recommended to do an all-male tank, reducing the disruption during breeding. What are your thoughts on this?

If you have any experiences to share about mixing Fronts with tankmates I sure would like to hear it.

Thanks for your help!

Sophie

bitterman

Unfortunately most Malawi will nip the fins of frontosa. Additionally anything small enough to fit in a fronts mount could end up as food.

An all male frontosa tank has worked for some people, but not for others, you could give it a try.  Sealord in australia has one. But telling the difference between kits and kaps and moba can be next to impossible so be warned.

You could get a few adult comps or calvus for the tank and a colony of adult syno multi's for an interesting tank. Some Benthochromis tricoti also do well with frontosa and might do ok as long as you get adults and they like more the top portion of the tank (they can be expensive).

Good luck,
   Bruce

sofront

Thanks Bruce.

Here's the thing. That 13" was in an all-male tank (180g) until 2 weeks ago when I've had to move him into a hospital tank (the 125g.) to treat a bad case of float (almost lost him). In this 180g I have 3 males, 2 X 8" + a 1 X 10" and, since about 1 week, 6 WC comps around 3". I'm afraid to put the 13" back in the 180 for 2 reasons: re-introduction issues and a BIG mouth that could eat those comps. I have to say those guys are unbelieably brave and constantly swim in front of the Fronts. But so far so good, no casualties (although I do know that you never know when ditther can become dinner).

So, do you think the putting a 13" is too risky for the comps? I think you do keep altos (Calvus in your case) with Fronts. Note that the Fronts are F1 and where never fed live food.

bitterman

3" is a bit on the small side. You really need to get as big a specimens as possible if the females were say 4-4 1/2 and males close to 6" you might have a better chance.

My males calvus are 4"+, female smaller http://www.frontosa.com/album_showpage.php?full=true&pic_id=224
but with only 9"-10" burundi.

3" would be a risk but calvus and comps are pretty fast if they need to be and frontosa are more opportunistic at taking other fish.  Given the chance they might just try it but every fish personality is different.

Bruce