Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is there a timer that is programmable down to the second??

Started by Zzippper, February 18, 2009, 05:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

I made the sun shine bright again. Please take it easy, there was a comment and an apologies, and the understanding that his hobby has many faces. There is no need for drama. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

FocusFin

Quote from: fischkopp on February 21, 2009, 01:26:34 AM
I made the sun shine bright again. Please take it easy, there was a comment and an apologies, and the understanding that his hobby has many faces. There is no need for drama. :)

Sorry dad  :-[ ;)  Zzipper's my OVAS bud.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Zzippper

Quote from: xenon on February 21, 2009, 12:37:05 AM
Do you honestly think I will stop posting on OVAS because I am afraid what the    people    might think?  ::)

I get lots of positive comments in my build threads so I am pretty sure people enjoy them otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Don't be mad at me because your broke, it's your own fault.

You know, I had accepted Xenon's apology - and then I read this.
I would like to point out something to Xenon... As he seems to have confused two distinctly different concepts.

Just because some of us don't want to spend top dolllar for top-of-the-line products doesn't mean that we cannot afford to. Some us us (with or without money) have sloppy impulse control whereas others do not. I have more than enough green to afford all the best toys for my aquarium. I can't speak for others, but I personally derive great satisfaction from engineering my own solutions to common reef related challenges. Throwing money at everything is the easy way out - the lazy man's solution. Definitely not the mindset that leads to innovations in this hobby.

Xenon, in my opinion, you are guilty of 'conspicuois consumption'. I am quite familiar with this as my own brother suffers from the same malady. It's not enough for you to just do your own thing, spend lots of money and 'live and let live'. You feel it necessary to advertise your high-flying spending habits - which is fine, I guess - but you take it a step further by implying that if others don't follow your lead - they should get out of the hobby. This, in my opinion, is the ultimate snobbery. Get over yourself.

Z

FocusFin

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Zzippper

redbelly

I have never seen a timer that is programmable down to the second but here is a thought.
You can get the timers that are down to the min.

What if you use a small pump and just dilute your additive solution down. Then to adjust your levels you just increase or decrease the concentration of your additive solution.

xenon

Zzippper

Quote from: fender316 on February 21, 2009, 04:04:44 PM
this one will do 30s of on time, every 6 hours

http://www.edenindoororganicgardens.com/art3adti.html

Thanks for the effort. It's appreciated.  :)
It can actually do 30 seconds on-time every 8 hours - which amouts to 1.5 minutes per day.
I can actually accomplish 1 minute per day with a standard timer for a lot cheaper though

You were on the right track though...   :)

Z

Contains Moose

There are lots of timers here, programmable well down to what you need, you will need to trigger them.

http://www.airotronics.com/site/home.php

I have used these and found them very reliable.

http://www.airotronics.com/site/category-products_solidstate.php  this might be just what you want.

Adam

I too derive great satisfaction when I make something myself instead of buying something premade. 

As for the timer, I'd suggest the minute method.  Diluting the solution will give you more control over how much goes in due to pumps losing efficiency and the fact that a few seconds is really a tiny amount of time and there is a lot of variability unless you hook it up to a dosing pump and not an aquarium pump.  A little more or a little less of a diluted solution is much less variable than a little more or less of concentrated solution.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

xiaan

Have you checked out this:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Part-Kits/c52/p272/Drew&%2339;s-Doser-Peristaltic-Dosing-Pump/product_info.html

It is a pump that has a flow rate of 1.5ml a minute you could then hook it up to a timer with a 1min resolution. that should be good for any application.