Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sand/Gravel question??

Started by bamboofish, March 05, 2009, 02:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamboofish

Hi,
I went looking for some pool filter sand the other day.
I wanted to add it to one tank that I have that came with a combo of pool filter sand and coral sand mix.
The pool store said they don't carry the white silica sand any more because it is carcinogenic.  Has anyone heard about that????
Any way, they had another pool filter mix, a fine(almost like sand) gravel mix, looks real nice, dark brown/black color..... so I bought it, ... cheap at $8 per 50 lb.
Any one have experience with this type of sand/gravel??? .... it does look great.

fischkopp

Tell me anything that won't harm you these days ... :P

I have no experience with it, but that sand sounds interesting. How fine is it? Where did you get it? Do you have a pic, maybe? And did you noticed any affects on water hardness & pH? 
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

bamboofish

Hi Fishcop,
it's from Club Piscine on west huntclub.... any one out there tried it before???
It's about the size of coarse sand...

Nerine

it is only dangerous if you sit there and inhale the dust for silica sand! I love my white pool sand!  Sucks that they dont carry it anymore :(

I haven't used the other sand...but I know there were people who have used other brands/types and haven't had a problem with it...
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bamboofish

So I mixed the new black sand with the old coral sand, looks great, a salt & pepper look. I think the fish even like it better.
I noticed when I use the magnetic glass cleaner it attracts the sand, must be some iron it.
Anybody know if iron harmful to fish??