Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Zinc plated screws

Started by dan2x38, March 09, 2009, 09:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Bought a nice piece of driftwood off of Zoe. I have a piece of slate already drilled. If I attach it can I use a a common zinc plated screw?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Saltcreep

I'm pretty sure a zinc plated screw would eventually rust; it is just plated. I think the only two commonly used materials that wouldn't rust would be brass or stainless steel. Obviousy brass is out so SS would be your best choice. Stainless fasteners are available at almost any store like CTC or HD. If you pre-drilled the holes, nylon might work too.

dan2x38

Thanks rusting doesn't matter by the time that happens it would be totally water logged. I am worried about the zinic?
Voltaire:

Saltcreep

Quote from: dan2x38 on March 11, 2009, 08:19:09 AM
Thanks rusting doesn't matter by the time that happens it would be totally water logged. I am worried about the zinic?
The thing is that as soon as you break or crack the zinc plating (just by screwing it in) the steel under the zinc will begin to rust. I'm guessing no more than a couple of days. Save yourself the grief and go with stainless. They're the only fasteners I use anywhere around moisture. I wouldn't worry too much about the zinc; I'm pretty sure that's what those little plant binding strips are made of. They used to be lead and may even be bismuth (sp?) by now.

dan2x38

will do SS it is then... thx
Voltaire: