Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

question about vortek

Started by winston199, March 08, 2009, 06:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston199

I was wondering if a MP40 could be built into a wavebox like the tunze and would it create a wave on a 6 foot tank with only one pump. I have seen the one tunze on the same size tank and it made a nice wave

xenon

Good question.

Do you already have an MP40? If not it would be wise to just get a Tunze wavebox.

winston199

I have found one for a good price and can make the box to fit the pump if it will work.

xenon

Quote from: winston199 on March 08, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
I have found one for a good price and can make the box to fit the pump if it will work.

Your best bet would be to ask EcoTech Marine directly on their forum.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=501

reefdava16

This could be done, but wouldn't really be worth it.

winston199

why would it not be worth it.

The price I found the mp40 for is less than I can find a tunze for, I wont have to buy expensive mags for the tunze and witch ever one I get I will still have to build the wavebox.

reefdava16

Quote from: winston199 on March 09, 2009, 09:20:46 AM

The price I found the mp40 for is less than I can find a tunze for, I wont have to buy expensive mags for the tunze and witch ever one I get I will still have to build the wavebox.

Because the motor is mounted on the outside of the tank. Seeing this post got me thinking on how I would build a wavebox with my vortech and alignment is the major problem. You would still have to figure out a way to mount the box to the side of the tank because the motion back and fourth will cause the box itself to move around. That would cause the wetside to be misaligned constantly and cause noise and wear on the motor and magnet assembly. I did come up with a design but it wouldn't be as efficient as the Tunze.

groupie02

Quote from: winston199 on March 09, 2009, 09:20:46 AM

The new Tunze pumps come with the magnets.  :)

gvv

As far as I know, smaller version of Tunze WB comes with magnet, but the big one without. And one small WB will not be enough for 6ft 200G tank.

Looking at the video from this topic, I assume you may use vortech for wave generation, but still would better see it in person...
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=34438.0