Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Java Moss Ideas?

Started by Elariel, January 30, 2009, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elariel

I have just gotten some java moss from a friend who was taking apart her tank. Any ideas of what I should do will it?

I have never had any before and have no idea what its needs are.

lucodu

if you have driftwood, you could attach the moss to it with an elastic or fish line.  the moss will attach to it within days/weeks.  looks quite nice too.

zima

DIY coconut caves with Java moss growing on top. Very easy to do and looks great in the tank!

http://aquatropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=2404.msg17164

Also, you can wrap the ping-pong ball with java moss, attach it with cotton thread (perfectly bio-degradable). Then wrap the ball with moss with some fish line and attach the loose end to a stone. Place the structure in the desired location in the tank, and voila - you've got a moss stratosphere! Sells for $10-15 in LFS :)

dan2x38

Just place the moss where you like. If you tie it on usually it starts to brown where it is making contact especially if tied tightly. Just tuck it under the corner or edge of the wood or a rock. It will stay in a corner. Don't place under the output of your filters it will fall apart. Java moss takes some time to attach - depending what type it actually is. Some java moss is something else at times... which can be very cool. Do you a close up of a frond? the strings from it...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

sas

Quote from: lucodu on January 30, 2009, 03:35:03 PM
if you have driftwood, you could attach the moss to it with an elastic or fish line.  the moss will attach to it within days/weeks.  looks quite nice too.

Just a word of caution if you decide to go the route of elastics. Once they disintegrate and fall apart get the pieces out of the tank asap. I had a terrible experience where one of our fish decided the elastic was a nicely colored worm ::). I watched helplessly as the fish actually ate a large section of elastic and actually passed it.

Use cotton thread for sure for attaching plants, or simply tuck them into spots.

Another neat idea for moss is wrapping it onto a thin stick of driftwood, that would stand straight up and then have it trimmed to look like an underwater tree. Haven't tried this yet but it does look very striking.

Elariel

what about using hair nets to attach the moss to the wood, will that work?

smalltownfan

Try this link regarding care.

www.aquamoss.net/Introduction.htm

I'm trying the moss wall idea, it's just starting to fill in and the shrimp love it.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

washefuzzy

Quote from: Elariel on January 31, 2009, 09:32:47 AM
what about using hair nets to attach the moss to the wood, will that work?

I tried hair nets and had to cut fish out of it who got stuck. I never use hair net now!!

string works good. Don't need much. Dosen't take long for the moss to cling to what ever it's touching.  :)

dan2x38

You can also use a staple gun to attach the moss. The staple eventually rusts away just adding iron to the water in minute amounts - no harm. I use hair nets all the time they just need to be snug enough so no fish gets under them. A moss wall is OK but with java moss it is tough it takes a very long time but it is so cool. Be careful no small fish can get behind the moss wall they can get trapped back there. I have a small one it is safe but slow growing.

I like SAS' idea they look so cool and they take no time to grow you only trim them as it grows.
Voltaire:

Elariel

smalltownfan

I started these at the time the original thread started. The moss wall is looking nice, next time I'm going to use green mesh and faster growing moss. The moss mound was made using part of a cat toy; bottom cut away and lead ties put on to keep it on the bottom. Using tweezers poke bits of moss through the openings. Final shot is after 6 weeks. After seeing mossy sticks at La Niche I gave it a try. Used a bamboo skewer and starting at the top lay moss sprigs and wrapped with thread. The shrimp love to climb to the top and get on the lip of the filter, must be a tastier type of algae.

[attachment deleted by admin]
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

Quote from: smalltownfan on March 12, 2009, 11:19:55 AM
I started these at the time the original thread started. The moss wall is looking nice, next time I'm going to use green mesh and faster growing moss. The moss mound was made using part of a cat toy; bottom cut away and lead ties put on to keep it on the bottom. Using tweezers poke bits of moss through the openings. Final shot is after 6 weeks. After seeing mossy sticks at La Niche I gave it a try. Used a bamboo skewer and starting at the top lay moss sprigs and wrapped with thread. The shrimp love to climb to the top and get on the lip of the filter, must be a tastier type of algae.
Nice job Hank, now how can one`s spouse be upset if you acquire a bigger canvas ( Aquarium) to expand on that picture  :)

dan2x38

Your a natural Hank... take the wife out to dinner more often... there must be a Burger King close by?  ::)
Voltaire: